[SOLVED] Laptop shut down while playing.

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
girenloland
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[SOLVED] Laptop shut down while playing.

Post by girenloland »

Playing this game on my laptop.
Never had any problems before.
Until me an my brother started a server and play together.

When our base got to the point that it gets so big that we build trains to get do distant areas and nuclear power plants and sent up some satelites, my laptop started to crash.
As for now, if I join the server I can play 2-10 min and my laptop shuts down, yeah shuts down, dies... without warning, no lag or freeze before it happens.
I don't think this is a hardware issue, because i play PUBG, fallout 4, subnautica and other games without any issues.

GPU and CPU temp is not the problem.
Game runs steady at 60 fps, 45-50 fps in center base where much is going on at the same time.

Anyone got any ideas, or something to try ?

My system :
Acer Nitro
i7 4720HQ
GTX 960m
8 Gb ram
Last edited by girenloland on Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Laptop shut down when playing.

Post by Jap2.0 »

Can you post a log (%appdata%/factorio) with the log of some time when it happens?
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

betrok
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by betrok »

girenloland wrote:GPU and CPU temp is not the problem.
Are you sure? Looks exactly like overheating.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

Battery empty due power supply fail or overload?

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

girenloland
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by girenloland »

Jap2.0 wrote:Can you post a log (%appdata%/factorio) with the log of some time when it happens?
Is it the factorio-current file?
betrok wrote:
girenloland wrote:GPU and CPU temp is not the problem.
Are you sure? Looks exactly like overheating.
No, factorio is not heating up my computer as much as more demanding games. About 75-80 degrees. (C)
Playing other more demanding games it heats up computer much more. Like in pubg and fallout it goes all the way up to 90-95 on the cpu and gpu.
At this point the laptop will throttle down to cool down to not overheat.

Throttling down does not happen in factorio, not enough heat.

Temp was my first thought, but I ruled that out by monitoring temps.
steinio wrote:Battery empty due power supply fail or overload?
Yeah, but when I restart the laptop my battery is at 98%. But could a "3 year old" battery cause this? maybe? On battery power my laptop only last for 15 mins. So the battery is ready for replacement.

The strange this is this issue does not appear in other games. Only factorio.
Could it be running out of ram or something?
Attachments
factorio-current.log
Is it this one?
(7.24 KiB) Downloaded 72 times

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

girenloland wrote:Could it be running out of ram or something?

That certainly sounds possible, especially if the pagefile is a fixed size. (I have also seen windows bluescreen when the pagefile was on a disk that was dying, so that might also be worth checking).

Other things to try are turning sprite resolution down to normal in the graphics options. Hi-res sprites now need around 3GB of Vram. I'm not sure about Factorio, but many games cache all their graphics in ram, because Windows can discard the content of vram in certain situations, so switching to normal res sprites might also reduce ram usage.

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

A laptop kill switching itself sounds like many things. The most simple explanation is that it's doing a heat panic shutdown. You can see the internal temperature using utilities like CPU-Z or by simply touching the hot spot on your laptop. If it physically stings then it's definitely overheating. Do something to cool it down.

A less comforting possibility is that the battery overloads and the system simply goes off. A 15 minute battery life sounds pretty borderline. Keep the laptop plugged in at all times, and make sure the connection isn't fickle.

An even less comforting possibility is laptop failure. The internal electrical system could be getting overloaded, which can do all sorts of things like turning off.

girenloland
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by girenloland »

Thanks for the input guys.
Zavian wrote:
girenloland wrote:Could it be running out of ram or something?

That certainly sounds possible, especially if the pagefile is a fixed size. (I have also seen windows bluescreen when the pagefile was on a disk that was dying, so that might also be worth checking).
Other things to try are turning sprite resolution down to normal in the graphics options. Hi-res sprites now need around 3GB of Vram. I'm not sure about Factorio, but many games cache all their graphics in ram, because Windows can discard the content of vram in certain situations, so switching to normal res sprites might also reduce ram usage.
Tried your suggestions. But no luck. Thanks for the tips anyways :-)

I think i will order a new battery and see if that is the issue.
Temps are not a issue as gpu and cpu dont get so hot as in other games.

The strangest thing is that i can play any other games without problems. This only happens in factorio

girenloland
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by girenloland »

Hi Guys.

I installed a new battery today, since the laptop has to be opened to change the battery I also replaced the old thermal paste on the CPU and GPU to get better thermal performance.
All seems to work fine now.
Played for 2 hours without shutdown now.... before I could play for max 10 mins before shutdown.

Thanks for help :-)

Return to “Technical Help”