My server is laggy. Looking for advice on server hosting

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
breakpots
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

My server is laggy. Looking for advice on server hosting

Post by breakpots »

Hello, I run a small server that I hope will be big one day. I use www.vultr.com for a 10$/month virtual server slice described as 1 CPU, 2 GB memory. This has worked OK so far but it's obviously pretty slow and the lag is getting worse. The other day I had one guy join the server, say "laggggggg", then immediately leave so I think it's time for a big upgrade.

How good of a server would I need to run a fast, responsive server with a big map for 5 -10 people? Would renting a full blown dedicated webserver for like 125$/month be overkill? Should I use AWS? I would be grateful for any thoughts or advice on this subject

(If you want to play on my server look for Free Planet Kuh in the browser)

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: My server is laggy. Looking for advice on server hosting

Post by Loewchen »

Independent of the question if you can find it: You want a high frequency Intel CPU, at least 2 cores but ideally 4 and high memory throughput. The number of players is almost irrelevant, the size of the map and the mods you use are what it is about.

Return to “Technical Help”