Entire computer hard crashes when out of RAM

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
Khlorghaal
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Entire computer hard crashes when out of RAM

Post by Khlorghaal »

AMD FX-8350 x64
8GB RAM
Win10 Home
GTX1070 driver 3.13.1.30

https://pastebin.com/1qDVxQCy

When I my computer runs out of memory when playing factorio, instead of just failing to malloc then either throwing or segfaulting, the ENTIRE OS freezes hard, only the mouse moves, nothing else, ctrl alt del, ctrl shift esc, alt tab, winkey, alt f4, does anything, even after waiting 2m.
I'm guessing this is probably a video driver problem with allocating client memory.
I do not have a pagefile.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Entire computer hard crashes when out of RAM

Post by posila »

Hello, I moved the topic to Technical help, because if memory allocation freezes your computer when it should have failed doesn't seem like a something we can workaround in our code (std::bad_alloc resulting to game termination works fine for other people)

Open Factorio properties in Steam Library and set launch options to

Code: Select all

--force-opengl
Current OpenGL renderer uses less memory compared to DirectX one, because current DirectX backend keeps extra copies of textures in RAM. This should free you almost 1 GB of RAM and make it less likely for the game to run out of memory. Also please consider turning page file back on.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Khlorghaal wrote:Entire computer hard crashes when out of RAM
That's not supposed to happen...
Khlorghaal wrote:I do not have a pagefile.
Ah, yes it is when you do that. Turn it back on or deal with the PC crashing when it runs out of memory.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

golfmiketango
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by golfmiketango »

Recently saw this: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page= ... V-vRAM-Fix... agreed that running out of memory without swap is an unavoidable GIGO situation, but I wonder if, even so, there is some underlying framework issue in portable nvidia driver code? Personally I'm mostly a team-red guy so I have no recent experience.

Anyhow Khlorghaal, I'm just speculating. Rseding91's advice is clearly the first thing you should be looking at to fix this -- go to the System control panel and enable swap with automatic tuning (or, better yet, especially if you're on spinning rust, set min and max to exactly twice your amount of system RAM).

Return to “Technical Help”