[0.16.43] Timing out when downloading world.

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
Grandad_Sadbags
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[0.16.43] Timing out when downloading world.

Post by Grandad_Sadbags »

My friend has pretty slow internet, so downloading the world can take a long time. Quite often it is impossible for them to join, because the game times them out before they can even finish downloading the world. The connection used for hosting on my end is fine and I have a high-end machine.

I'm not really sure what else to say, but if you need any more details I'll provide them.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.16.43] Timing out when downloading world.

Post by Zavian »

Please post the logfile (https://wiki.factorio.com/Log_file) from both client and server after a session with the issue.

Grandad_Sadbags
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Of course, sorry. I have attached them.

Also I've just found out: the client was manually disconnected in order to retry connecting, since it was inevitable they were going to time out (the timeout progress bar was going to hit 100% before the world download). Although they had returned to the main menu, my hosting game did not receive the disconnect and continued to pop up with the timing out bar. This also prohibited the client from reconnecting (the steam overlay 'join game' button was greyed out).

When the client was closed, the timeout messages stopped on the server, suggesting the two were still communicating when they should not have been.
Attachments
factorio-current.log
Client log
(129.66 KiB) Downloaded 46 times
factorio-current.log
Host log
(34.55 KiB) Downloaded 47 times

Grandad_Sadbags
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Tried again last night. The host did not give me a message to say the client had joined. I immediately started getting the "dropping from game" message and the "downloading map" was never displayed. Eventually the client did time out, and they were kicked out to the main menu. On the host I was not presented with a message to say they had left. When they were returned to the main menu the option to join through the steam overlay was again greyed out. Creating a singleplayer world then exiting to the main menu to try and force reset it did not help.
Attachments
factorio-current.log
Host log
(29.55 KiB) Downloaded 38 times
factorio-current2.log
Client log
(95.46 KiB) Downloaded 43 times

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

Packets from both directions arrive too late which suggests a network issue. The server could try to limit the map download speed in the settings.

Grandad_Sadbags
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Loewchen wrote:Packets from both directions arrive too late which suggests a network issue. The server could try to limit the map download speed in the settings.
Just tried this, exactly the same thing as before. Host does not even say client has connected.

Return to “Technical Help”