[16.43] Sub 20 fps in new worlds

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
Striped_Monkey
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[16.43] Sub 20 fps in new worlds

Post by Striped_Monkey »

Trying to get back into the game after not playing since .14. When creating a new world I get extremely low framerates in new worlds. It starts out at 30 but almost immediately starts ticking down towards the 20s and, depending on the zoom, is anywhere between 8fps and 20fps(zoomed in all the way). I've tried messing around with the graphics settings but nothing seems to be helping. This isn't a bad graphics card and CPU so this shouldn't be an issue in a brand new game. Realistically it should run at 60 for the majority of the game untill lategame when the UPS starts dropping.

EDIT2: I almost forgot to say, I'm on Ubuntu 18.04! Thats kinda important

GPU: AMD R9 390x (8GB version) - Side note, it don't detect VRAM for my card. Perhaps this is part of the issue? glxinfo reports the VRAM.
CPU: AMD FX-8320 8 core
RAM: 8Gigs DDR3

A lot of the graphics settings concern VRAM, which I have plenty of, so I'm unsure which ones would improve performance and which ones wouldn't in my situation. I have tried removing mods and making a world with nothing but the `base` mod and still nothing.
Using Mesa 18.2 devel
Extended renderer info (GLX_MESA_query_renderer):
Vendor: VMware, Inc. (0xffffffff)
Device: llvmpipe (LLVM 6.0, 128 bits) (0xffffffff)
Version: 18.2.0
Accelerated: no
Video memory: 7923MB
Unified memory: no
Preferred profile: core (0x1)
Max core profile version: 3.3
Max compat profile version: 3.1
Max GLES1 profile version: 1.1
Max GLES[23] profile version: 3.0
OpenGL renderer string: llvmpipe (LLVM 6.0, 128 bits)
OpenGL core profile version string: 3.3 (Core Profile) Mesa 18.2.0-devel
OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 3.30
OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
OpenGL core profile profile mask: core profile

Edit: Grammmamamar
Attachments
Screenshot from 2018-05-16 17-34-52.png
Screenshot from 2018-05-16 17-34-52.png (2.78 MiB) Viewed 2541 times
Don't you wish you could smile?

betrok
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [16.43] Sub 20 fps in new worlds

Post by betrok »

llvmpipe is a software renderer. Perhaps you did not install the proper driver for your GPU.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

Can you upload a log and a screenshot with time-used-percents (I believe it's a F4 option - or whatever the debug shortcut is)?
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Striped_Monkey
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Striped_Monkey »

Jap2.0 wrote:Can you upload a log and a screenshot with time-used-percents (I believe it's a F4 option - or whatever the debug shortcut is)?
Sure thing, ignore the wierd resolution, I have to resize the game for it to show.
betrok wrote:llvmpipe is a software renderer. Perhaps you did not install the proper driver for your GPU.
AMD Drivers on linux for my card are... wierd. This is possible but I don't know why it would. If you've got any clues as to why I'd love to hear them.
Attachments
factorio-current.log
(51.57 KiB) Downloaded 106 times
Screenshot from 2018-05-16 20-12-29.png
Screenshot from 2018-05-16 20-12-29.png (1.5 MiB) Viewed 2515 times

quyxkh
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by quyxkh »

Code: Select all

Looks like you're running the game in a VM. I'll just venture "don't do that".

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

As someone else said, llvmpipe is a software renderer, so whilst the R9 is a good graphics card, it looks like you don't have suitable drivers for it installed. (If they are installed, then possibly they aren't compatible with the kernel or xserver in 18.04). The rendering and flip times on the screenshot show that rendering looks like the cause. One easy thing you can try is turning sprite resolution down to normal. That should make rendering faster.

I run Debian on my home server, but It's been a long time since I last tried Ubuntu, and I haven't tried playing games on linux for years. But back then, it would sometimes take months for AMD and NVidia to release updated drivers which worked with new xserver and/or kernel versions, so it's possible that Ubuntu 18.04 just doesn't have a suitable driver for the R9 available, so it's falling back to software rendering. (That sort of fallback is probably fine for desktop use, or even light gaming, but not for Factorio with hi-res sprites).
quyxkh wrote:

Google says llvmpipe reports the same vendor id (0xffffffff) as VMWare's VMs, which is apparently what is causing glxinfo to report VMWare. (But if you are running in a VM, then that could also explain degraded graphic performance).

Edit: Looks like there are pre-release drivers available for Ubuntu 18.04 from https://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articl ... Notes.aspx . Note that it does have known issues which would probably be showstoppers for an actual release. (And manually installing pre-release drivers direct from AMD/Nvidia often used to leave a mess that was potentially difficult to clean up, if you decided to uninstall them).

Striped_Monkey
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Striped_Monkey »

I've spent the last few hours working on a solution to the llvmpipe issue but insofar no luck. Although I somehow managed to get it where my computer doesn't recognize my monitors anymore... so that's nice. I'll post if I figure it out but unless someone here has experience with X configuration I don't think I'm gonna get much help here.

AMD drivers are well known to be pieces of garbage from AMD which is why 80% of AMD users will just use the open source drivers instead of the proprietary ones. Its strange too, since everything I'm finding seems to suggest that you have to explicitly enable llvmpipe to actually have it work but as far as I can see there's nothing enabling it. Digging through X config files is a nightmare but I've not found anything that looks like it would be enabling it. I'm convinced that this change occured on the upgrade from 17 to 18 but have yet to figure out why this change occurred and more importantly, how.
quyxkh wrote:

Its a good thing I'm not running it in a VM. :)

Return to “Technical Help”