Computer freezes when exiting game on Linux [0.16.36]

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
PigKing107
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Computer freezes when exiting game on Linux [0.16.36]

Post by PigKing107 »

Whenever I exit the game, my entire computer freezes and I am unable to do anything. I don't recall this happening when I was using Windows but as soon as I switched to Linux, it began crashing. The log doesn't seem to be useful and I have no idea how to fix it.
Attachments
factorio-current.log
(5.73 KiB) Downloaded 104 times

anticlockwise5
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Computer freezes when exiting game on Linux [0.16.36]

Post by anticlockwise5 »

Same here, using Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. It did not happen when using Ubuntu 17.04.

anticlockwise5
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by anticlockwise5 »

So, if you're using steam, try turning off Steam Cloud synchronization, that did the trick for me. My computer does not freeze anymore when exiting Factorio.

vertinog
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by vertinog »

I already had the cloud sync off and it still happens.

I am thinking about running the game via wine to see if that resolves the issue. My save games keep getting corrupted when the computer freezes and I have to do a hard reboot.

Piet
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Piet »

Hello,

I have the same problem.
It is described here as well: https://steamcommunity.com/app/427520/d ... 873442785/

Description of the issue:
After clicking on 'Exit' in the Factorio main menu, the laptop completely freezes (all monitors). The mouse cursor can not be moved and it is not even possible to switch to a virtual console (using Ctrl+Alt+F1 etc). Background programs such as a radio continue to run.

My system:
Ubuntu 18.04 64-bit
Factorio 0.16.51 (Without steam)
Lenovo Y50-70 Laptop, Core™ i7-4720, GeForce GTX 960M, using the nvidia-driver-390 package

Additional information:
  • This does not happen every time Factorio is closed, but unpredictably at random in about 50 % of the cases.
  • It happened already with Ubuntu 16.04 LTS as well (I updated just a week ago).
  • Files such as player-data and config tend to get lost / corrupted when a hard reboot is necessary.
  • The last line in the ~/factorio/factorio-current.log logfile is always this:

Code: Select all

85.096 Info GlobalContext.cpp:696: Waiting for child processes to exit:
    There seems to be nothing relevant in syslog (no new entries after freezing).
  • I can ssh into my computer while it is frozen. Any Ideas how to investigate the problem?
  • In htop (via ssh) I see at least 6 processes that belong to Factorio before 'Exit', only 4 of them remain there in the frozen state after clicking on Exit, all using less than 5 % CPU. There are as well some pulseaudio processes using about 10 % CPU. I tried to kill pulseaudio and Factorio and ended up with one Factorio process using 100 % CPU, like this:
    There seems to be no way to terminate it. Not even

Code: Select all

sudo kill -9 <pid>
    ends this process, it is continuously shown in htop with >99% CPU. I tried to force logout my user by killing the session leader process, but the screen is still frozen and the Factorio process is still running.

Return to “Technical Help”