[0.16.32] Auto updater fails to update Factorio.exe

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
Vatharian
Inserter
Inserter

[0.16.32] Auto updater fails to update Factorio.exe

Post by Vatharian »

Bug applies to standalone portable Windows x64 non-steam version. For obvious reasons Steam is not affected.

I noticed the issue first at 0.16.32, and now it happened to me few times: when updating to .35, .36, .37 and now .38. It doesn't happens always! I'd say it's 50-50 chance of successful update. I play Factorio on 4 different PCs,

The auto updater downloads delta ZIP, unpacks it, and throws 'failed to update Factorio.exe, Access denied.' Game closes, and it's done.

I can't run the game again, since Factorio.exe is missing.

Workaround: Download full game install zip, unpack to game directory, play.

Likely culprit: There is either a bug in updater code, or it is violent interaction with antivirus locking the file (which is just bad design, but hey).
I am using Avast Pro, but I have my whole games folder added to exclude list and I disabled it fully on update 36 to 38 just a moment ago and it failed too.
I verified I am logged it, since I can download mods.

Suggested fix: make update atomic, copy-on-write, instead of switching the executable on-the-fly.
Veni, Vici, Spaghettici - never bus! (tm)

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [0.16.32] Auto updater fails to update Factorio.exe

Post by Loewchen »

Post the log after a session with the issue.

0mega
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [0.16.32] Auto updater fails to update Factorio.exe

Post by 0mega »

Just happened to me when updating from 0.16.36, standalone version. I attached the log file.
Attachments
factorio-current.log
(5.56 KiB) Downloaded 98 times

Return to “Technical Help”