[0.16.22] Extreme GPU utilization

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
hanli427
Inserter
Inserter

[0.16.22] Extreme GPU utilization

Post by hanli427 »

I am having problems with severe framerate drops on some maps. I attach a fresh map where this occurs.
When zoomed in the FPS is fine, but zooming out it drops to around 30 for me. UPS is fine, only FPS drops. I checked and found that the GPU utilization is at 100%. I have a GTX 970 so that shouldn't be a problem, and I have no problems with other GPU intensive games. However, this problem seems to be tied to decorations. Turning them off in graphics settings caused GPU utilization to drop to 20-25% and the framerate went back up to 60. It also seems to only happen on some maps, in particular grassy maps/biomes. In the ones I tested, deserts don't seem to be a problem, also old maps generated in 0.15 don't seem to have a problem either. It might be tied to which decorations are spawned I suppose.
Attachments
. NewGame.zip
(1.25 MiB) Downloaded 85 times

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.16.22] Extreme GPU utilization

Post by posila »

Hi, can you try to enable "Separate lower object atlas" in graphics options, please?

hanli427
Inserter
Inserter

Post by hanli427 »

Ok, this is weird, I restarted the computer over night, and now when I turned it on this morning I am not having any of these problems. Even without enabling that graphics option the GPU utilization is now at 16% fully zoomed out in that map. Turning on "separate lower object atlas" dropped it to 5-6%, but that is no longer necessary.

I don't know what happened, must have been some weird glitch on my computer, although oddly specific in when it happened. Sorry to have bothered you with this.

SpeedDaemon
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by SpeedDaemon »

I am having the same/very similar problem, also with a GTX 970. Zoomed in - 60FPS, about half zoomed out, the FPS drops, and is down around 30 fully zoomed out.

Restarting the game several times will sometimes cause it to start working properly again.

Enabling "Separate lower object atlas" seems to help, but because it requires a restart, it might just have been randomly working again.

Rebooting will *usually* make it work the first time the game is started after rebooting, but then have problems on subsequent starts.

I had no problems at all until I got a new monitor. The old one was a Samsung TOC HD260 (1920x1200 @ 59Hz), and the new one is an ASUS Swift PG279Q (2560x1440 @ 144Hz). At first I thought it was g-sync, so I turned that off, but that doesn't seem to be it. (just for kicks, I also set the resolution down to 1920x1200, and refresh to 60Hz, but it made no difference)

Return to “Technical Help”