Save compression

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
Ractaros96
Inserter
Inserter

Save compression

Post by Ractaros96 »

Hello, I have a question. Is it possible to disable save compression entirely? I don't mind bigger saves, I have a lot of space on my HDD. I've heard that compression takes most of the time in saving the game. I know that in WinRAR you can select no compression at all (which is the fastest). I still would like saves to be packaged, but not compressed. Is it possible to change it somehow?
I'm with Factorio since version 0.11.20. I've finally bought the game on March 11th 2017 (played on pirate version earlier ;) ). It's the second game, I have bought in my entire life, the first one was Anno 2070.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Save compression

Post by eradicator »

Config.ini has a setting for it (that's disabled by default).

Code: Select all

; Options: none, fast, maximum
; autosave-compression-level=fast
I doubt you'll see much improvement in savetimes though unless you have some weird edgecase like a huge map on a really fast SSD but slow CPU.

How long does saving take for you?
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Ractaros96
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Ractaros96 »

eradicator wrote:Config.ini has a setting for it (that's disabled by default).

Code: Select all

; Options: none, fast, maximum
; autosave-compression-level=fast
I doubt you'll see much improvement in savetimes though unless you have some weird edgecase like a huge map on a really fast SSD but slow CPU.

How long does saving take for you?
I don't have such a line in config file, should I add it?

EDIT: I have added it below autosave slots count, but the whole 2 lines were deleted when I launched Factorio, even with semicolon removed.

EDIT2: I know what's wrong. I have 0.15.40 version of Factorio and that option was added in 0.16 :D
Last edited by Ractaros96 on Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
I'm with Factorio since version 0.11.20. I've finally bought the game on March 11th 2017 (played on pirate version earlier ;) ). It's the second game, I have bought in my entire life, the first one was Anno 2070.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

The option seems to exist in the config files for 0.16.16, but not in 0.15. I seem to remember a recent thread where Rseding mentioned adding it, so it probably won't work on older versions.

Ractaros96
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Ractaros96 »

Zavian wrote:The option seems to exist in the config files for 0.16.16, but not in 0.15. I seem to remember a recent thread where Rseding mentioned adding it, so it probably won't work on older versions.
I noticed, I just hope that experimental 0.16.16 is stable enough to play comfortably ;)

Return to “Technical Help”