[16.16] Corruption of the game state

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
Pootis
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[16.16] Corruption of the game state

Post by Pootis »

Hi everyone,

so I just got the error message dialog "Detected corruption of the game state".

As far as I can recall, the last thing that I was doing was building some steam engines.
The dialog popped up when the auto-save occurred.

Info about the world:

This is a scenario world I created waaay back in 12.35, and I played it in almost any version from 12.35
up to the current 16.16. The world is nearly 900 in-game hours old and the factory has seen multiple rebuilds.
The world was modded as well during 0.15. The only mod I used in this time was Factorissimo 2. I removed it though
before switching to 0.16

Some system information:

Intel Core i5 6500
nVidia GeForce GTX 770
8GB DDR3 Ram
250 GB SSD
Kubuntu 17.04 (Linux 4.10.0-42-generic)

If hope the supplied info helps.

P.S.: This is my first ever forum post, so please don't bash me too hard if missed something. :)
Attachments
_autosave1.zip
Latest working save
(34.35 MiB) Downloaded 88 times
CorruptedSave.zip
Save file created after dialog popped up
(34.23 MiB) Downloaded 80 times
factorio-previous.log
(8 KiB) Downloaded 77 times
factorio-current.log
(2.94 KiB) Downloaded 79 times

GoldenPorkchop80
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [16.16] Corruption of the game state

Post by GoldenPorkchop80 »

I understand that you have put in a lot of time and effort into that world, but it's really time to let it go.
In computer standards, from 0.12.xx to 0.16.xx is a very, very long time. Corruption is almost bound to happen when you use a old file in a new client. Especially if that file and client are 0.04.xx versions apart. A pretty good rule of thumb here is that if the file is about 0.01.xx versions behind from the client, then you should start considering creating a new world. (Devs: Consider adding some backwards-compatibility code, or if you have already, make it more robust!)
It might be hard to let it go, but consider this: once you've launched a rocket, you've won the game. That's it. You did it. It isn't about how many rockets you've launched (All things considered, going above and beyond isn't a bad thing.), it's about overcoming all the challenges needed to build and launch one. If you have launched a rocket, you can rest easy that that corrupted save game is finished, and it's time to start a new one, and launch another rocket into space.

Best of luck!
Contact me:
telnet.Telehack.com (My username is gpc80)
Steam
Twitch.tv
Reddit
Email:redrouster2000@gmail.com (Mods, Admins, and Game Devs ONLY! Anyone else will be blocked on my email, and on this forum)
Hamachi VPN: Please send me a PM for network info.
Forums: Send me a PM

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

GoldenPorkchop80 wrote:I understand that you have put in a lot of time and effort into that world, but it's really time to let it go.
In computer standards, from 0.12.xx to 0.16.xx is a very, very long time. Corruption is almost bound to happen when you use a old file in a new client. Especially if that file and client are 0.04.xx versions apart. A pretty good rule of thumb here is that if the file is about 0.01.xx versions behind from the client, then you should start considering creating a new world. (Devs: Consider adding some backwards-compatibility code, or if you have already, make it more robust!)
It might be hard to let it go, but consider this: once you've launched a rocket, you've won the game. That's it. You did it. It isn't about how many rockets you've launched (All things considered, going above and beyond isn't a bad thing.), it's about overcoming all the challenges needed to build and launch one. If you have launched a rocket, you can rest easy that that corrupted save game is finished, and it's time to start a new one, and launch another rocket into space.

Best of luck!
Migrating in a stable branch seems very robust.
If you install every beta version, you get enough chances to corrupt the save.

If i remember right, 14.01 corrupted all saves.

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

The corruption that it detected often indicates bad RAM on your system. I'd first check that out.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Baughn
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Baughn »

Which you can best do using memtest86+.

Run it overnight, see if it finds anything.

Return to “Technical Help”