Accessing the game via steam family sharing does not allow for factorio.com access

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
tsjeva
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Accessing the game via steam family sharing does not allow for factorio.com access

Post by tsjeva »

eradicator wrote:
tsjeva wrote:In order to achieve this goal, I took the steps that my game copy's owner did. Except, just at the last step, the game itself refused. To make everything waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay moore complicated, the game refused everything at the last step. And now we are here.
I think you're missing one crucial step that the game copy's owner did perform. You forgot to actually buy the game.
My copy's owner bought the game on steam. I think that step is covered by Steam Family Sharing almost perfectly with every game up to this point.

I get it: It works like this because blacklists are a thing. (A dark thing... really.) Because there are servers that "ban" people, and then there is that griefer database on the multiplayer sub forum listing a bunch of user names. It must be annoying for those who get there: They don't get a second chance even on other servers. To me, this is an overwhelmingly strict system, backed by reasons that are hard to understand.

You have answered my question: I simply can't log in inside Factorio with my Factorio account. I can't have use a separate identity because one purchase of the game comes with a single one. Gergely is right:
Gergely wrote:Factorio does not let you remain anonymous. ... I recon that's not a satisfying conclusion of the topic for anyone... yes? :| It's plain sad.
Yes. You can only switch identities once because these are the rules of online multiplayer in this game. The rules are not in place just for the sake of making things complicated, they are in place to prevent unintended behavior which in this case means circumventing blacklists.

One last thing: It was really weird when the game said that I can't log in because
obvious reasons. (not gonna repeat myself)
They really should introduce a warning to users about the in-game login complications earlier than that.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Accessing the game via steam family sharing does not allow for factorio.com access

Post by Jap2.0 »

I think we can say that Klonan sufficiently addressed this, but in reply to some other questions:
Gergely wrote:
Jap2.0 wrote:How about... because you don't own the game?
For real?
Why the hell can't one log in with their Factorio account in-game?! This is a bug. :x Seriously, no matter how I look at it, this does not make any sense without going out of my way to gather explanation. MAYBE the devs could tie registration to linking with steam account right away, or purchasing the game right away. I recon that's not a satisfying conclusion of the topic for anyone... yes? :| It's plain sad.
If your account does not own the game, there would be no reason for it to be able to log on in-game (other than in the case of sharing, which has been and is being discussed in this thread). The only version of the game you would have access to would be the demo, which does not support mods or multiplayer.
nuhll wrote:Sorry,
but as far as i know multiplayer never works with family sharing, that also states steam, as far as i know.
It does in some games (I've used it before), although I'm sure that there are plenty that it doesn't work with.
tsjeva wrote:They really should introduce a warning to users about the in-game login complications earlier than that.
Sure, it might be useful. I wouldn't say it's a bad thing. But really, there shouldn't be a reason to. They don't support multiplayer with free accounts, and generally people follow the pattern buy game --> log in with Factorio account that owns the game.
eradicator wrote:
tsjeva wrote:And now we are here.
And thus indeed "now we are here".
Indeed, we are now here.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

tsjeva wrote:My copy's owner bought the game on steam. I think that step is covered by Steam Family Sharing almost perfectly with every game up to this point.
No. It is not. As you can easily see by the fact that you only have a limited ability to play (i.e. when the owner of the game does not use his library). And by the fact that you can not further share the game with anyone else.
Imagine someone lent you their car while they're on vacation. Would you assume they also also allowed you to give the car a new painting? Or lend the car to other people for money? Or change the license plate? Hopefully not. A "usage right" is very different from ownership.
tsjeva wrote:I get it: It works like this because blacklists are a thing. (A dark thing... really.)
I haven't touched the blacklisting topic so far because it has nothing to do with the reasons why steam family sharing doesn't work as you expect it to work. The only reason for that is money. The devs need to sell their game to make a living, and if everyone shared their games with 10 friends they'd only make 1/10th of the money, and factorio would only be 1/10th as awesome as it is now. Just because Valve or some other AAA publisher can afford to throw around free game licenses doesn't mean everyone can, wants or does do this.

(And besides that blacklisting argument is bs. If someone wants to grief they just go to a server that doesn't use the pillory banlist, or buys a new account. And btw minecraft doesn't ban based on the username as someone suggested. So changing your name has no effect on bans there or in any other game that implements a proper banning feature.)
Jap2.0 wrote:
eradicator wrote:
Indeed, we are now here.
Can we go somewhere else now? These pastures are not green at all.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

eradicator wrote:
Jap2.0 wrote:
eradicator wrote:
Indeed, we are now here.
Can we go somewhere else now? These pastures are not green at all.
Agreed. Everything that needs to be said has been said. (I sincerely doubt that anyone will come up with any revolutionary new arguments at this point.)
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Kyralessa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kyralessa »

tsjeva, out of pure curiosity, is the person whose copy of Factorio you're using an actual family member?

Return to “Technical Help”