switching from Windows to Mac OSX

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
Tym
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

switching from Windows to Mac OSX

Post by Tym »

the wife surprised me with a new mac this christmas, so now i've got to move my factorio environment.

I've tried searching the forums and the wiki, but haven't located any pertinent information.

Basic questions are how to move saves and the blueprint library.

Secondary question is what, if any, are gameplay differences between windows and mac?

(long-time mac user, i had to use windows for Factorio for the last year because my old macbook pro wasn't 64-bit capable)

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: switching from Windows to Mac OSX

Post by Jap2.0 »

In Windows, all that stuff is in %appdata%/Factorio - I don't know what the equivalent is on Mac. The gameplay should be identical.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

What you want to copy is:
  • config folder (not sure if completely portable)
  • saves folder
  • achievement.dat
  • blueprint-storage.dat
  • player-data.json

HanziQ
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by HanziQ »

I would avoid copying the config, or if you do, reset the controls on macOS, there were some portability issues with names of keys. And there are also different default bindings for certain things.

Tym
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Tym »

while I thought to save the Factorio software tree, i neglected the /appdata/ sub-tree, so i'm definitely missing files like 'blueprints.dat'. The previous HW is powered down just now, -maybe- i'll resurrect it later, in order to pull those particular files.

thus far, it hasn't been too big a problem; i'm happily playing away. There's something to be said for having to work from scratch, again.

About the only key binding i've found different has been the ability to 'peg' (my term) an item within the toolbar; previously i'd pressed the mouse-wheel to do so; now i've located the 'apple-rightclick' binding to do so.

No other significant differences thus far, though i'm still trying to get used to the 27" screen.

Return to “Technical Help”