Strange player movement sticking

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
flossythesheep
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Strange player movement sticking

Post by flossythesheep »

Hi,

I have played and followed Factorio for a number of years but stopped playing a year or so ago due to a strange issue I was having with the player controls seemingly sticking. I put it down to perhaps a bug that would be fixed in a future release (I am patient) but as it is still occurring I am wondering if it is just me.

What happens is that intermittantly and at what appears to be random times my player will either briefly not respond to movement input or get stuck running in the last direction for a few seconds. I have tried to work out a pattern but cannot seem to find one, it can happen right at the beginning of a brand new game or in the middle of a complex build. Once it starts happening it will 'stick' every few minutes but not at any set interval.

It is strange because the rest of the game plays perfectly (no slow down etc..), even while the player is either not responding to movement or being stuck running in one direction. It feels like something is out of sync, almost like a the warp lag you get on multiplayer games sometimes.

I am player single player only, have tried tweeking settings which have made no noticeable difference (I thought turning off autosaving would help, but it seems not)

I would love to start playing again but this is proving an annoying issue.

Basic specs:
AMD A10-6800K
Geforce 960 GTX
8GB RAM
Win 7 64
Playing Factorio via Steam

Anyone had/having this issue? Or any advice?

Many thanks

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Strange player movement sticking

Post by Klonan »

flossythesheep wrote:Hi,

I have played and followed Factorio for a number of years but stopped playing a year or so ago due to a strange issue I was having with the player controls seemingly sticking. I put it down to perhaps a bug that would be fixed in a future release (I am patient) but as it is still occurring I am wondering if it is just me.

What happens is that intermittantly and at what appears to be random times my player will either briefly not respond to movement input or get stuck running in the last direction for a few seconds. I have tried to work out a pattern but cannot seem to find one, it can happen right at the beginning of a brand new game or in the middle of a complex build. Once it starts happening it will 'stick' every few minutes but not at any set interval.

It is strange because the rest of the game plays perfectly (no slow down etc..), even while the player is either not responding to movement or being stuck running in one direction. It feels like something is out of sync, almost like a the warp lag you get on multiplayer games sometimes.

I am player single player only, have tried tweeking settings which have made no noticeable difference (I thought turning off autosaving would help, but it seems not)

I would love to start playing again but this is proving an annoying issue.

Basic specs:
AMD A10-6800K
Geforce 960 GTX
8GB RAM
Win 7 64
Playing Factorio via Steam

Anyone had/having this issue? Or any advice?

Many thanks
Do you use a Microsoft keyboard?

flossythesheep
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by flossythesheep »

No it is a wired Logitech wave keyboard. I did run some tests on trying to force it to happen through repeated pressing of various keys which caused Windows to throw up its sticky keys message a few times....could not cause it to happen due to that. Also no other game suffers from any input related problems so I assume the keyboard itself is working ok.

Have attached log,save and screenshot. Not sure how useful they are due to the annoyingly intermittant and random nature of this.

Thanks for all and any help
Attachments
Screenshot with debug enabled
Screenshot with debug enabled
20171206115118_1.jpg (850.73 KiB) Viewed 1670 times
factorio-previous.log
log file (previous because I had to start factorio up cos I forgot which save file I used)
(3.89 KiB) Downloaded 48 times
_autosave2.zip
This is the save file
(3.73 MiB) Downloaded 38 times

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

flossythesheep wrote:
No it is a wired Logitech wave keyboard. I did run some tests on trying to force it to happen through repeated pressing of various keys which caused Windows to throw up its sticky keys message a few times....could not cause it to happen due to that. Also no other game suffers from any input related problems so I assume the keyboard itself is working ok.

Have attached log,save and screenshot. Not sure how useful they are due to the annoyingly intermittant and random nature of this.

Thanks for all and any help
I had this issue before, and it was due to my keyboard sleeping while a key was held down,
Maybe check that your logitech keyboard is not configured to be put to sleep by the OS

flossythesheep
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by flossythesheep »

Thanks for the suggestion Klogan. My keyboard is wired so I can't imagine it has a sleep option. I dont use the logitech software and the Windows config has no sleep options in it.....maybe I could try installing the Logitech software to see if that helps. Will give it a go later on.

It is weird that it is so random and only in Factorio, yesterday I played for over an hour with no issues, the day before it started sticking after 30 mins.
The only other thing on the PC that runs in the background is MSE, I checked and that was set to run a scheduled quick scan @ 2am each day.....Could it perhaps be that kicking in because my PC is not on @ 2am? Although....it does say it will only scan when idle....either way I have disabled that scheduled scan now so will also see if that helps as well.

I will update this is I find the problem

Thanks for all your time

Return to “Technical Help”