[15.34] Auto Update Failure (factorio.exe now locked)

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
BlackHat
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

[15.34] Auto Update Failure (factorio.exe now locked)

Post by BlackHat »

Normally when and update comes up, I just download the new version, make a new folder unpack it there and xfer all my old data to the new version (Mods, saves, etc.)

This time when I started 15.34 I got a notice that 15.37 was availible. So I did the auto-update. The game downloaded the .35, .36. and .37 updates and started installing them. But almost immediately gave me an error saying something about not having permission to do whatever with factorio.exe. and quit.

Then the game refused to run the original factorio.exe again giving me an error message (Cant find path? may not have permission)

So I just downloaded 15.37.ziped and unpacked it to a new folder. and transferred my files to it. 15.37 runs fine.

The PROBLEM is the old 15.34 factorio.exe is locked. I cant delete it. (All the other files did get deleted when I first tried deleting the .34 version, but not the factorio.exe) It says I do not have permission. It is NOT in a folder that requires Administrator permission (C:Games/Factorio 15.34). Even when I use Administrator Privileges it says I don't have permission. Restarted the computer and it still gives the same results.

What has Factorio done to this file and why cant I delete it.
(Doing some Googling it APPEARS that I have lost ownership of the file so I cant do anything with it and I cant figure out how to regain ownership)

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [15.34] Auto Update Failure (factorio.exe now locked)

Post by eradicator »

Have you tried restarting the system? Sometimes windows internally locks files down. If it's still there after a restart you'll have to give yourself ownership of the file via admin commands. How that exactly works depends heavily on your windows version. Some versions have a GUI for that. Some don't.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

BlackHat
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by BlackHat »

BlackHat wrote: Restarted the computer and it still gives the same results.
As I stated in the OP I did restart the computer... No difference...

Hmm, I should have mentioned my computer... Laptop running Win8.1 Home edition
Tried giving myself ownership using the file Properties of Factorio.exe on the Securities/Advanced tab.
"Owner: Unable to display Current Owner" (Admin Shield Symbol) Change

When I click "Change" It gives me a message:
"You do not have permission to view or edit this objects permission settings."

Also tried Malwarebytes FileAssassin program, it would not load Factorio.exe to act upon it. (Again did not have permission)

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

When i run into weird permission issues i usually use Q-Dir Portable in "run as Admin" mode. It's a small explorer-type application. Windows explorer can't run in admin mode itself so it sometimes behaves weird. Not sure if that is the problem in your case.

Does the properties dialog say that the file still has a size? Can you see any permissions on the object at all? Also it's weird that it gives you an error about changing permissions when you try to change the owner...

You could also try "takeown /f /a factorio.exe" from a command shell in admin mode.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.

BlackHat
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by BlackHat »

Yes it has a file size listed. (18,316Kb) which I assume is the size of the original exe.

Tried running the takeown command ( "takeown /f factorio.exe /a" ) in a cmd window. Said The current user does not have Admin Privileges. (As expected)

So ran the command in a Admin Cmd window. This time it said Error: Access is Denied.

As for viewing Permissions- No. ... When you look at the Properties/Securities tab The normal Permissions screen is blank. It says, "You must have Read Permission to view the Properties of this object."

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

Hi, run scandisk on the drive that contains factorio.exe you can't get rid of.

BlackHat
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by BlackHat »

posila wrote:Hi, run scandisk on the drive that contains factorio.exe you can't get rid of.
Just ran ChkDsk on the drive. No problems detected. (No bad files, no bad indexes, no bad security descriptors.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Someone on Serverfault recommends trying FileACL. I've never used it so you'll have to read the manual yourself. :roll:

Return to “Technical Help”