[15.37] High Sierra causing unplayable levels of lag.

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
EclipticaWolf
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[15.37] High Sierra causing unplayable levels of lag.

Post by EclipticaWolf »

Hi there,

I've been playing Factorio on Yosemite OSX, but I upgraded to High Sierra, installed an SSD and 8GB more ram yet the game has slowed down completely.

It's literally unplayable.

I'm running a vanilla version of the game on High Sierra, with an Intel HD3000, SSD and 10GB of Ram. Before I upgraded, the game ran fine, from 14.21 all the way up to the latest release.

After upgrading to High Sierra, I'm getting sub 3 FPS.

Many thanks

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [15.37] High Sierra causing unplayable levels of lag.

Post by Loewchen »

See performance issues here: 4400 and provide all the requested information from here: 51319.

TheGegger
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [15.37] High Sierra causing unplayable levels of lag.

Post by TheGegger »

I was having similar issues. Could not post requested information because I was playing with mods.

It seems there were issues with High Sierra 10.13.1, due to the new version of Metal in part, possibly a bug in the low-power state (sleep mode) and driver updates for some graphic cards (older Macs with nvidia). Updating to 10.13.2 and restarting worked for me, and is said to fix the drivers and the low power state (IDK about any changes in Metal 2 from 10.13.1 to 10.13.2, look it up if you need to know).

In my case, there also seemed to be issues with memory. I have 16 GB ram, the game was using 9GB and UPS/FPS were flailing with other apps. Closed the other apps, and when Factorio ran for a while, it just crashed.

Have had none of these issues yet for the past 3 days on 10.13.2, although I still suffer from the weird screen artifacts that appeared in early 1.15 factorio releases for mac users where the screen will flash in some cases. It does not bother me enough to start up my windows machine, personally.

Return to “Technical Help”