Linux Headless - Do regular restarts make sense

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
player8472
Inserter
Inserter

Linux Headless - Do regular restarts make sense

Post by player8472 »

I could probably test this myself, but I hope someone has some real-life experience (or done the testing already) on this.

So here is my question:

I run a heavily modded headless Linux Factorio Server. (Bobs/Angels/SpaceX including Betas, about 30-40 smaller convenience Mods).

We're not that far in, but the CPU (Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3450 CPU @ 3.10GHz) regularly reaches 40% already.
When nobody but me is only i sometimes play with server restarts and saw, that at least the RAM-Size of the Docker-Container it runs in (it's not limited in the use of Hardware, docker is just used for convenience, so i can easily transfer the complete installation onto a stronger Server if needed) decreases from 1.2GB to about 960 MB and only slowly grows back to the initial 1.2 GB.

The real question is: Would the game stability and or (max)speed (especially when the RAM-Size eventually grows to 4GB+ eventually) benefit from regular restarts noticably or not?

Game Version is 0.15.35 (and will probably be frozen until we're done with the map).
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3450 CPU @ 3.10GHz
RAM: 16 GB DDR3 1600 (Have another 32GB lying around but it's slower and would just sit idle atm)
HDD: 2*256GB SSD 550MB/s (Benchmarks say ~520MB/s) - one holds OS, the other is for data (like factorio install)

I am asking since I know I'll probably have to move it to either my E5 (Ivy Bridge) or my i7 (Skylake), but I would prefer to delay that as long as possible.

And yeah, even if I'm with computers as a cat lady is with cats, i still like to use my old stuff until there is no use for it any more^^

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Linux Headless - Do regular restarts make sense

Post by Loewchen »

There is no benefit to restarting your server.

Return to “Technical Help”