Teleport crash

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
Baile nam Fonn
Inserter
Inserter

Teleport crash

Post by Baile nam Fonn »

I have a 4 tall sandbox ribbon map with a rail line extending from 0,0 to 1000000,0. After placing a train stop on the x-positive map edge and saving, I attempted a /c game.player.teleport({0, 0}).
The game locked up and after a few minutes hard-crashed to black screen, forcing a physical reset of my computer.

Is this a predictable result, given that I have only 6 GB of ram? Or is it more likely a bug connected to the extreme nature of the map?

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Teleport crash

Post by Jap2.0 »

I wouldn't think it would cause any crashes. It shouldn't load any land between your location and the spawn. Perhaps there's some issue internally with the large number? I doubt this, though. I don't think console commands are really a supported part of the game, though (I know the debug menu isn't). Can someone else verify this (I would, but I won't be able to access Factorio for another 8 days or so :()
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

Press Ctrl+Shift+Esc to open task manager before you teleport. If the memory goes over 6GB you know that's the problem.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Baile nam Fonn wrote:hard-crashed to black screen, forcing a physical reset of my computer.
Factorio should never crash the whole machine up to the point the only solution is a reboot. Is it reproduceable ?
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Baile nam Fonn
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Baile nam Fonn »

Koub wrote:
Baile nam Fonn wrote:hard-crashed to black screen, forcing a physical reset of my computer.
Factorio should never crash the whole machine up to the point the only solution is a reboot. Is it reproduceable ?
I've reproduced it once (on the first try I hadn't saved, and I lost 100,000 tiles worth of rails).
Jap2.0 wrote:I don't think console commands are really a supported part of the game
About that..
*hem*
I may have used this

Code: Select all

/c game.forces.player.chart(game.player.surface,{lefttop = {x = X, y = Y}, rightbottom = {x = otherX, y = otherY}})
and *hem* this

Code: Select all

/c local surface = game.players[1].surface for c in surface.get_chunks() do for key, entity in pairs(surface.find_entities_filtered({area={{c.x * 32, c.y * 32}, {c.x * 32 + 32, c.y * 32 + 32}}, type= "tree"})) do entity.destroy() end end; local surface = game.players[1].surface for c in surface.get_chunks() do for key, entity in pairs(surface.find_entities_filtered({area={{c.x * 32, c.y * 32}, {c.x * 32 + 32, c.y * 32 + 32}}, type= "simple-entity"})) do entity.destroy() end end
a few times. :oops:

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Being able to do something, and getting support on that thing are two different things.
You may drive in 1st gear on the highway. However, this is an unsupported use of your car. If damage occured, your car company would probably not be liable for any damage your car would suffer.

Baile nam Fonn
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Baile nam Fonn »

Koub wrote:Being able to do something, and getting support on that thing are two different things.
You may drive in 1st gear on the highway. However, this is an unsupported use of your car. If damage occured, your car company would probably not be liable for any damage your car would suffer.
I understand perfectly and fully agree.
Rseding91 in the 'post your saves' topic wrote:I'm looking for save files where people are experiencing specific (or extreme) performance issues so I can work on optimizing them.
[..]
Pushing the game well beyond what it can handle helps to show areas that can easily be improved but don't normally stick out due to how in-frequent they're used in a normal game.
Do you reckon that my map would nevertheless be eligible for submission as a performance issue specimen, or would you advise against it?

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

I think performance issues directly subsequent to the use of a console command are not the kind of issues the devs are trying to solve.
Example : generate a map, and type the command to explore a 1Mx1M square. This will kill your game for a long time, but it's legitimate.
If you're able to suffer from performance hit with regular use of the game, then you definitely should post it.

Return to “Technical Help”