Suddenly poor server network performance

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
oli847
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Suddenly poor server network performance

Post by oli847 »

Hi All

I'm running a headless factorio server on a physical linux box for myself and a couple of friends. It was working perfectly up until Saturday night/Sunday morning, when it got really laggy for my friends.

If I connect to the server using the local LAN IP address, it is fine, map download speeds of 8-9 MB/s. If I connect (from the same machine) to the external IP or the no-ip dynamic dns address I have set up, the map download speed is painfully slow, ~100KB/s, and once connected the server is then really laggy, presumably because of this network limitation. Before Saturday there was no noticable difference in map download speed or performance when I connected to the local IP or the external one from within the LAN. It's now essentially unplayable for my friends remotely.

I've got a good fibre connection, 60odd MiB/s down and 18 or so up and I can download and upload other things at full speed from the internet. I'm using the default port 34197.

It seems to be a problem with the internet pipe maybe being throttled, but I'm on an ISP that (supposedly) does no traffic management.

Does anyone have any ideas what the problem might be?

Thanks
Oli

Return to “Technical Help”