Unable to start headless server; server-settings.json

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
Kalam
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Unable to start headless server; server-settings.json

Post by Kalam »

I have a rather perplexing issue with my server-settings.json file. Whenever I try starting the server using the file, I get the following error:

Code: Select all

$ sudo -u factorio /opt/factorio/bin/x64/factorio -c /opt/factorio/data/server-settings.json --start-server-load-latest –Port 64444
   0.000  Error GlobalContext.cpp:882: /opt/factorio/data/server-settings.json: Bad file format; ignoring
   0.000  Error Util.cpp:62: There is no package core in /usr/share/factorio
I have combed the file over and over and see no syntax issues. Here it is for reference:

Code: Select all

$ cat /opt/factorio/data/server-settings.json
{
  "name": "Name of the game as it will appear in the game listing",
  "description": "Description of the game that will appear in the listing",
  "tags": ["game", "tags"],

"_comment_max_players": "Maximum number of players allowed, admins can join even a full server. 0 means unlimited.",
  "max_players": 0,

"_comment_visibility": ["public: Game will be published on the official Factorio matching server",
                          "lan: Game will be broadcast on LAN"],
  "visibility":
  {
    "public": false,
    "lan": true
  },

"_comment_credentials": "Your factorio.com login credentials. Required for games with visibility public",
  "username": "",
  "password": "",

"_comment_token": "Authentication token. May be used instead of 'password' above.",
  "token": "",

"game_password": "",

"_comment_require_user_verification": "When set to true, the server will only allow clients that have a valid Factorio.com account",
  "require_user_verification": false,

"_comment_max_upload_in_kilobytes_per_second" : "optional, default value is 0. 0 means unlimited.",
  "max_upload_in_kilobytes_per_second": 0,

"_comment_minimum_latency_in_ticks": "optional one tick is 16ms in default speed, default value is 0. 0 means no minimum.",
  "minimum_latency_in_ticks": 0,

"_comment_ignore_player_limit_for_returning_players": "Players that played on this map already can join even when the max player limit was reached.",
  "ignore_player_limit_for_returning_players": false,

"_comment_allow_commands": "possible values are, true, false and admins-only",
  "allow_commands": "admins-only",

"_comment_autosave_interval": "Autosave interval in minutes",
  "autosave_interval": 10,

"_comment_autosave_slots": "server autosave slots, it is cycled through when the server autosaves.",
  "autosave_slots": 15,

"_comment_afk_autokick_interval": "How many minutes until someone is kicked when doing nothing, 0 for never.",
  "afk_autokick_interval": 0,

"_comment_auto_pause": "Whether should the server be paused when no players are present.",
  "auto_pause": true,

"only_admins_can_pause_the_game": false,

"_comment_autosave_only_on_server": "Whether autosaves should be saved only on server or also on all connected clients. Default is true.",
  "autosave_only_on_server": true,

"_comment_admins": "List of case insensitive usernames, that will be promoted immediately",
  "admins": ["bnasty"]
}

I should note that I can start the server without the < -c /opt/factorio/data/server-settings.json > just fine. What am I missing here?

quyxkh
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Unable to start headless server; server-settings.json

Post by quyxkh »

diffing what you pasted against my own server's settings I don't see anything invalid. Bring it up in vim and check the file encoding? Vim' will highlight json errors automatically and maybe it's in UTF-16 and the nulls didn't show up on your terminal or something.

... oh: wait. the server settings is different from the config. don't try to use it as a config file.

AlienX
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by AlienX »

Good spot on that.
Instead of using -c, use --server-settings parameter.

More info here:
https://wiki.factorio.com/Multiplayer#D ... ess_server

Kalam
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Kalam »

Thanks guys. Swapping out '-c- with '--server-settings' did the trick. I knew it had to be something obvious like that.

snugglepilot
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by snugglepilot »

FWIW a bunch of the step-by-step setup/tutorial/how-to-documents floating around (some pinned here on the forums!) make the same -c mistake. I just discovered this myself. :/

Return to “Technical Help”