FPS but not UPS problem

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
Ringkeeper
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

FPS but not UPS problem

Post by Ringkeeper »

Hi,

my wife and i play multiplayer via LAN. My PC is also the server.

On our map she gets at some places only 5-15 FPS while her UPS are still on 60, i have at the same places 60/60 .

As we both have the same PCs (AMD Ryzen 7 1700X 3,4GHz , Geforce GTX 1070, 32 GB RAM, Game on SSD) i don't think its her graphic card.

The places are our ore unloading station with a lot of belts but also our central factory where we do most of the stuff with bots. If she zooms in completely everything gets better.

So far i thought bad FPS come from bad UPS but that seems not the case.
Any idea?

BlakeMW
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: FPS but not UPS problem

Post by BlakeMW »

Try adjusting the graphical settings: especially clouds, smoke and shadows.

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Nexela »

With the pc specs posted It should be able to handle max settings just fine.

Please post the complete log files for help in narrowing it down

%appdata%/factorio/factorio-current.log

BlakeMW
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BlakeMW »

Nexela wrote:With the pc specs posted It should be able to handle max settings just fine.

Please post the complete log files for help in narrowing it down

%appdata%/factorio/factorio-current.log
That's a good point. In the above post I recommended disabling smoke because I have a desktop with an i5 and GTX 970 which while not quite as powerful should still be serious overkill and have still had serious FPS drop from smoke - but I didn't bother trying to debug it just disabled smoke and was happy :P. I've turned smoke back on and if I notice the issue happening again I'll also try providing useful data.

Ringkeeper
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Ringkeeper »

well smoke we have off anyway.... otherwise i wouldn't be able to see my power plants anymore ^^ too many of them :D

will check both logs in the evening when home.

Ringkeeper
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Ringkeeper »

took a bit longer.... but got now logs. Unfortunally, there is not much inside. Is it possible to log a bit more details?

screens with 5.7/59 http://imgur.com/a/Z5Tg5

logs: my: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vs795350qodwk ... e.log?dl=0
wife: https://www.dropbox.com/s/pt1wy0uahssvt ... e.log?dl=0

*edit*
i copied now the save to her. In single player she has 60/60 , if she hosts she has 40-50/60 .... strange.

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by impetus maximus »

hosting, or even just playing on a multi-player server will add a load to the CPU as it has to track more things/chunks going on.

one thing i suggest is if you are using an aero theme, disable tranparency (under window color)
it (dwm.exe) was hogging some CPU for me on win7. i hear it's A LOT worse in win10.

kinnom
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kinnom »

impetus maximus wrote:hosting, or even just playing on a multi-player server will add a load to the CPU as it has to track more things/chunks going on.

one thing i suggest is if you are using an aero theme, disable tranparency (under window color)
it (dwm.exe) was hogging some CPU for me on win7. i hear it's A LOT worse in win10.
FPS depend on gpu, not cpu
no yes yes no yes no yes yes

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

@ kinnom. It isn't that simple in Factorio. Factorio never renders more than one frame per game update. In a multiplayer gamer, if the client is struggling to keep up with the server, then factorio will drop about 90% of frames to save more cpu cycles for entity updates. So in factorio the most common cause of low fps is actually the cpu struggling to keep up with the server during multiplayer. (At least for anything more than toaster graphics. My graphics card copes fine with factorio despite the fact that it was a cheap midrange card when I bought it 7 years ago.)

Ringkeeper
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Ringkeeper »

sure, but why the client loses FPS (and only FPS not UPS) while me as server and client has normal FPS/UPS?
And when she is the server (and playing) she has normal UPS?

CPU shouldn't be a limiting factor so far on our map, neither the GPU. Both are (listed in first post) strong enough. :D

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

Multiplayer in Factorio is what is sometimes termed a "deterministic lockstep simulation". Both the client and the server must run exactly the same simulation, otherwise the game desyncs. The client can't drop a game update (if it did drop an update that would be an instant desync). (The server also can't drop any update, but that is less of a problem. If the server is running slower that 60 ups, then the client simply waits for the server).

See viewtopic.php?f=7&t=51319#p299295. Note that I think factorio is often limited by memory request latency. (The processor can't actually do anything useful whilst it is waiting for memory to provide the next bit of data it needs).

Your factory looks fairly large and it looks like it has a lot of game entities. You could also consider posting it to viewtopic.php?f=5&t=17501#p115772 .

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Ringkeeper wrote:... CPU shouldn't be a limiting factor so far on our map ...
But it is. There are 95,000 entities active on your map doing logic each game tick. 46,530 of them being express transport belts, and they all add up to take CPU time. Then there are these chests you're using all over: http://i.imgur.com/ef3vi7w.jpg which will take 4 times as much CPU to operate with every time something interacts with them (inserters mostly) when you don't even need them :P Normal chests would work exactly the same while taking less CPU time.

I can run it at 60 FPS/UPS on my computer with some room to spare with my i9-7900X which means you've simply build too much for your computer to handle.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Ringkeeper
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Ringkeeper »

i think you misunderstand

the map on my PC = fine
the map on my wife's PC = fine
me hosting the map, she connecting = bad on her PC , fine on mine
she hosting the map, me connecting = fine with a bit of minus on her pc , fine on mine

so ONLY when I host the map she gets FPS drops, NO UPS drops.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

I'm going to suggest posting screenshots from both computers with the info requested in viewtopic.php?f=7&t=51319 . Preferably one set of screenshots with you hosting hosting and the other with your wife hosting.

Also note that as I said above, when the client is struggling to keep up it will skip rendering some frame s(up to about 90% of frames and hence fps will potentially drop to 5 fps or so) in an attempt to save cpu cycles for game updates (because it must do the work on calculating the game updates, and if it gets too far behind on game updates, then the game becomes completely unplayable on that client).

Note that from the stats I get on my machine I expect the render step to typically take 1 to 2 ms per frame, and for a large base with performance problems the update step to take 15 or more ms per frame. Note that if the game is running at 60 ups, then it only has 16.66ms for the whole update and render process. (Also note that multi-player adds more work per tick that isn't needed in singleplayer).

I assume you have checked that both of you are running with identical in game graphics setting and resolutions etc. And that your wife's computer doesn't have anything running in the background that is consuming processor cycles/memory bandwidth.

But even if everything is truly identical I wouldn't be surprised if one machine was slightly faster than the other. Even if only because one cpu can turbo-boost (or whatever AMD call their equivalent technology) higher for longer than the other. So one computer will show performance problems before the other. (It is also of course theoretically possible that your wife's machine is thermally throttling or has another problem limiting it's performance).

Return to “Technical Help”