Late game bug lag

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
dinodod
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Late game bug lag

Post by dinodod »

In a MP server, late game lags to 5 UPS for me. Granted I have only a 5 mb connection but it mainly happens when people attack biters. I haven't seen any notes on this being fixed. Can someone tell me when this will be improved?

Also, is there a script to kill a region of biters so we don't have to fight them and lag the server? not all bugs, just a region.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Late game bug lag

Post by Zavian »

this sort of thing is typically because your computer is having trouble keeping up with the server.

dinodod
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by dinodod »

Well, When can the devs fix this issue? Not everyone has fiber internet so there needs to be a way to fix this. Also, when downloading large maps, my router drop internet connection, I presume due to UDP flooding? Can this be fixed as well?

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

dinodod wrote:Well, When can the devs fix this issue? Not everyone has fiber internet so there needs to be a way to fix this. Also, when downloading large maps, my router drop internet connection, I presume due to UDP flooding? Can this be fixed as well?
Its not due to your internet, but your PC not being able to run the factory at full speed

dinodod
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by dinodod »

so its a CPU limit then? Any chance that you can make the game multithreaded? Intel just released their i-10 capable of a teraflop with like 10 cores. is it that hard to make a game multithreaded?

Is there any way to optimize this like disabling updates to those not near a base? It would be so nice if we could tweak this somehow.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

See viewtopic.php?f=5&t=39893 for a thread discussing multi-threading factorio.

dinodod
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by dinodod »

Long thread discussing it but no answer from devs. I'm gonna presume it's not something that will ever happen.

Multicores are a joke then if no one develops for them

Tongs
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Tongs »

Plenty of people develop multithreaded applications. Factorio is even multithreaded, it just runs the game updates on a single thread since it is not a task that lends itself to parallelization.

Return to “Technical Help”