Leave binaries for old versions up for longer?

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
bryjnar
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Leave binaries for old versions up for longer?

Post by bryjnar »

Factorio has been packaged for NixOS (a linux distribution), which is pretty nice.

However, they have to pick a tarball to download for the package. This is fine, except that it looks like you take the old tarball down very quickly after you make an new release, which breaks the package. And since it's a source distribution, the users download the tarball themselves, which means it immediately breaks for users.

I appreciate that the tarballs for Factorio are quite big, but would it be possible to leave them up for old versions for a bit longer? It's not terribly hard to bump the version in the package, but it's a bit annoying to have to do it every few weeks.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Leave binaries for old versions up for longer?

Post by Klonan »

bryjnar wrote:Factorio has been packaged for NixOS (a linux distribution), which is pretty nice.

However, they have to pick a tarball to download for the package. This is fine, except that it looks like you take the old tarball down very quickly after you make an new release, which breaks the package. And since it's a source distribution, the users download the tarball themselves, which means it immediately breaks for users.

I appreciate that the tarballs for Factorio are quite big, but would it be possible to leave them up for old versions for a bit longer? It's not terribly hard to bump the version in the package, but it's a bit annoying to have to do it every few weeks.
Game binaries all the way back to 0.11.22 (2015) are still available on our website, we release a stable version only every 6 months or so, which I would say is not frequent enough to be annoying

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

The stable releases you can download on Factorio website :
0.15.33 (alpha)
0.14.23 (alpha) <== Last 32 bits version
0.13.20 (alpha)
0.12.35 (alpha)
0.11.22 (alpha)
0.10.12 (alpha)
0.9.8 (alpha)
0.8.8 (alpha)
0.7.5 (alpha)
0.6.4 (alpha) <== Only Windows and MacOS versions

And the experimental releases of the latest major version (currently none, the last major version is stable).
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

bryjnar
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by bryjnar »

Steam claims that 0.15.31 is the 0.15 stable version, and it's available there, but not from the website.

Admittedly, part of the problem is following the unstable version. But pretty much everyone I know has been using 0.15 for some time, and it's generally fine to use the unstable version... until the binaries go away. I'd be pretty happy with a "stable unstable" version that sticks around for a while (like 0.15.31?). It needn't be a huge amount of time, maybe a couple of months?

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by impetus maximus »

bryjnar wrote:Steam claims that 0.15.31 is the 0.15 stable version, and it's available there, but not from the website.
stable on steam at the time of my post is 0.15.33

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

As soon as a stable version for a major update is out, the unstable versions of that same major update are removed from Factorio website.
As for Steam, there have been TWO stable releases for 0.15 : 0.15.31, but it came out is still carried bugs the devs considered incompatible with a stable version. So came the 0.15.32, and the 0.15.33 ... which was declared stable a few days later.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Return to “Technical Help”