Cant host multiplayer

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
MadMarlin
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Cant host multiplayer

Post by MadMarlin »

After spending a few hours reading up on the subject I realize this post isn't new, but for the life of me I cannot figure out how to host a game with my son.

I spent the first part of my day changing my son's 32 bit Win 10 computer to 64 bit just so we could play Factorio together. He is 8 years old and I am thrilled at the thought of him playing such a deep game. Actually I'm thrilled at him playing anything but Minecraft and Terraria!

So after battling for the first half the day with Microsoft, I didn't realize how difficult it would be to get Factorio to work multiplayer. I am about 10 hours into this with nothing to show. We both created user accounts for the free server and here is what I have tried:
1. I have tried starting a MP game and inviting him via Steam "join my game." He gets the invite, and the game starts but it cannot connect to the server.
2. I tried having him join directly with my IP (with and without port 34197), but I'm not surprised that didn't work since I didn't jump through the port forward hoop. I read it wasn't necessary after .13
3. I started a public game. My game appears on the list, but the ping always comes back as "can't reach." If he tries to join it gives the usual "cannot establish a connection to the server."
4. I've disabled Kaspersky AV (a few posts recommended this) and deselected the LAN option on the second page of setup options in Factorio (one post I read said this helped).
5. I have alternately complimented my computer and threatened it with physical violence. It was nonplussed.
6. We were both able to join random public games, and even joined the same game together.

Obviously there is something wrong with the way I am trying to host since the ping to my games wont go through and no connection can be made, yet we can join other public games. A heartfelt thank you and the admiration of an 8 year old to anyone who can help.

Thanks,
MM

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Cant host multiplayer

Post by Loewchen »

Post the log after a session with the issue, see my signature.

MadMarlin
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by MadMarlin »

Thank you for the help (and the fast response)!

Here is a link to my log file:
https://pastebin.com/6UG4gRBC

Thanks again,
MM

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

From what I see in the log there were 4 connections, the first connection to 164.132.106.56:34199 failed but has been retried and was successful until you disconnected shortly after, you then hosted a server on: 73.93.161.59:34197 twice which was completed successfully each time as well.
Next step would be to again host a server, let him try to join, and post both, his and your log of that session.

MadMarlin
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by MadMarlin »

Thank you Loewchen for your help. I tried to host a game on the public server and here are the logs:

My log (the host) : https://pastebin.com/E07SC23t

Son's log: https://pastebin.com/Acvk3B2Z

MadMarlin
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by MadMarlin »

So I ended up solving the problem by creating a homegroup LAN on Windows and then my son's computer was able to join my game via LAN.
If I can help troubleshoot any problem let me know and I'll be happy to continue to provide file logs etc.

Thanks again Loewchen for your help,
MM

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

MadMarlin wrote:So I ended up solving the problem by creating a homegroup LAN on Windows and then my son's computer was able to join my game via LAN.
Ah that is great. The log suggested that it is a general network issue outside of factorio.

MadMarlin
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by MadMarlin »

Well the plot thickens...

My son and I played just under 11 hours over a few days via our new LAN without issue. Now neither one of us can see each other's Factorio game via LAN. We can see the files on each others computer so I know the LAN is working.We can also see each others games on the public server, but still can't join.

I'm not looking for help solving the issue because at this point I'm just putting it down to being beta, but if you need help troubleshooting this issue I'm happy to do so.
Great game (I have purchased 6 or 7 copies total for my friends via Steam, I really am trying to tell the world about it), but no game is worth this amount of effort to play. Sadly it looks like multiplayer Factorio with my son is not in my future.

MM

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by impetus maximus »

try Play/multiplayer/Play on LAN

MadMarlin
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by MadMarlin »

Thank impetus, we were successfully playing via LAN for several days and it suddenly stopped. Just in case my first post wasn't clear I had roughly 3 or 4 hours of troubleshooting and reading various posts/solutions before I even made my initial post. So I had already tried hosting and joining via every method possible besides forcing the port forward (which is no longer necessary).

I am not the only person who seems to have this problem: https://steamcommunity.com/app/427520/d ... 960797204/

At any rate I think I have found the problem. I have disabled Kaspersky Secure Connection (not Kaspersky entirely, just that part) and the multiplayer Factorio works again. I'm not sure why secure connection suddenly had an issue after 11 hours of play, but it did. So hopefully this will help someone having a similar issue (can join other people's game but cannot host).

Cheers,
MM

Return to “Technical Help”