10 more UPS please advice welcome.

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
Sicnarf
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

10 more UPS please advice welcome.

Post by Sicnarf »

I ran into UPS issues a while back so I followed the standard advice, get rid of all the belts, switch to a train bot network.
Don't have one large bot network break it up into smaller chunks, use solar for all power needs.
Turn off clouds and smoke in the graphics options.(not sure if this is a FPS thing but can't hurt)
I'm getting about 50 UPS now which is better but I'm trying to hit 60 so I have a few questions.

People appear to be able to tell what is eating most of their UPS by looking at the F5 read out, can someone explain the relevant info I should be looking for? as it all looks like just a bunch of random numbers to me. I want to see if it's the bots, trains, fluids or entities that are causing the biggest drain.
I have multiple trains that's only job is to go round in circles picking up and dropping off items to a group of stations for example ->
Pickup -> Green circuits -> Red circuits -> Blue circuits -> Drop off -> Then right back round to Pickup
This is literally a single rail with multiple trains looping back on itself that does not connect to or bisect any other rails and the stations are all labeled X or Z. Train instructions are X 5 seconds, Z 5 seconds. I did not think this would be much of a UPS drain as the trains next stop is directly in front of it with literally zero other options. But now I'm concerned that the trains are plotting out the next 2000 tiles figuring out the route to all the X stations along the way. Can someone with a knowledge of train pathfinding advise if trains stop calculating once they find the shortest route or do the trains work out several options first? I have about 50 of these trains going so any advice before I do a major redesign that may not help would be much appreciated.
I would like to avoid mods or using any /c commands. Also don't want to upgrade my computer just yet :)
My end goal is to hit 1k SPM in vanilla at 60 UPS with no on site smelting and all I need is 10 more UPS to do it so any tips are welcome.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: 10 more UPS please advice welcome.

Post by Zavian »

I suggest posting a screenshot of your game with the F5 info active. The most significant bit is often the entity update. If that is above 16.6ms then your computer can't run your base at 60 updates/second. (1000ms/60 = 16.66ms per tick).

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by impetus maximus »

are you using productivity modules wherever you can with speed beacons to get the entity count down?

Sicnarf
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Sicnarf »

I'm not the best at getting photo's onto forums, tell me if the below does not show up.
I am using beacons and modules everywhere but on the mines, should I be tearing up old rail lines I'm no longer using anymore to free up the Entity count? I figured rails themselves would add almost nothing to UPS drain.

Return to “Technical Help”