Server not inheriting map settings?

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
marzolan
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Server not inheriting map settings?

Post by marzolan »

First off - I have no hard evidence right now to support this, so if you'd rather move on and come back when I do have the evidence, I don't blame you.

Recently my small group of friends and I have been experimenting with multiplayer and different map settings. We have a headless server running on a managed service - nothing special. Usually, I generate maps on my computer through the GUI client and transfer the save file. Never noticed any issues. Until the advanced settings became a thing. Now it seems that if I generate a map with any non-default biter-related settings, they just get ignored, or perhaps even inverted somehow.

For instance, I loaded a rail world setup, re-enabled expansion, modified the cooldown times to slow the expansion to keep it somewhat resembling the default rail world settings (I like refighting biters occasionally). Thisthen gets transferred to the server. Everything look correct except the biters. I am an island of calm amidst an ocean of biter bases. They also seem to be more powerful than I usually encounter. Again, I haven't done a real side-by-side scientific comparison, but I have a solo map on my local computer that uses what I believe were very similar settings, and by the time I had a 2-by-3 radar array going, I could maybe see 4 biter bases with a rather large distance between them all.

It feels like something about biters isn't inherited correctly. Logically, this makes no sense to me. The settings should all be stored in the map, right? If it works in one place, it should work in another. I'm just curious at this point if anyone else has noticed any odd behaviors between local client advanced settings manifestation and headless server ones, or maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Thanks for any input, even if the input is simply that I'm imagining it. :)

I intend to do an actual comparison soon and will update.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Server not inheriting map settings?

Post by Loewchen »

Moved to technical help.
We would need steps to reproduce this.

Return to “Technical Help”