[0.15.30] Game screen freezes upon locking Windows 10

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
Walky
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[0.15.30] Game screen freezes upon locking Windows 10

Post by Walky »

Windows 10, locking the OS with Win+L caused the screen to freeze on whatever frame it was on. The game is still functioning perfectly fine in the background, I was even able to click on where the exit button is supposed to be and it exits just fine.

Things I have tried to replicate this with and succeeded:

-> Windowed mode
-> Full-screen (Is the full-screen mode just borderless-windowed? seems like it)

Asked others to try on the discord and didn't freeze for them, just me so I guess it's not really a bug but something to do on my end, are there any logs I can look at? Since the game process itself never freezes just the frame it is on.

Edit: I've tried resizing the window while frozen but it doesn't end the freeze at all, the screen stays as-is and the new area just stays black, I can get a screenshot.

Edit 2: Tried to switch to Windowed mode and it told me:

---------------------------
Error
Unable to create sprite (1280X800) probably not enough of video memory.
OK

Edit 3: Game also freezes when changing between fullscreen and windowed, oh boy.
Image of what happens when I resize it
I'm Walky.

Velox
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [0.15.30] Game screen freezes upon locking Windows 10

Post by Velox »

Getting the same issue as you on 0.15.3 when going from fullscreen to windowed or vice-versa (Either the "Unable to create sprite (xxx) probably not enough of video memory" or else just a locked game). My game also locks up in fullcreen if I switch off my second screen whilst playing. Running a GTX1070 so pretty sure I have "enough of video memory"! :D

Logs & W10 version below.
Attachments
factorio.logs.zip
Logs & W10 version
(80 KiB) Downloaded 90 times

suprnova74
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by suprnova74 »

Does your system perchance have both an on-board video card as well as the GTX?

Devs,
a few Google-Foo finds that may help:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/249 ... -200553051

If you compile a version with the d3d debug enabled (or if a debug d3d driver needs to be installed on my end, let me know), I'll be glad to run it and attempt to make it crash to help track it down as I have been getting this issue intermittently as well since .11 :) viewtopic.php?f=48&t=16063

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

Thanks for the offer. We don't plan to work on this issue anymore for time being. It is possible we will migrate from D3D9 to D3D11 in following months, so we would resolve corner cases like this one after that is done.
As a workaround you can set launch options in Factorio properties in Steam library to

Code: Select all

--force-opengl
or set force-opengl=true in config.ini if you don't use Steam version.

Return to “Technical Help”