Map downloading causes internet to drop / desync issues

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
dinodod
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Map downloading causes internet to drop / desync issues

Post by dinodod »

I for one would appreciate you devs taking on a fix for the map downloading issues causing loss of internet. As you said, you soley use UDP and even after I disable any security in my router and even set my DMZ to my PC, factorio continues to wreck havoc on my router and causes it to drop internet.

It appears this normally starts to occurs when the map size is larger than 14 Megs.

I am downloading at a meager 400kb/s as I only have a 5 MB / .5 down/up connection. I would love to see some sort of patch where you would perform delta downloads instead of the entire map every time if that would help with the large downloads that these maps cause.

Thank you.

sillyfly
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Map downloading causes internet to drop / desync issues

Post by sillyfly »

Factorio doesn't like low upload speeds - I don't know if it's sending too much acknowledgement packets or just being too quick to send data which throws it into a positive feedback loop (with negative implications). It appears this is either a low-priority issue or simply very hard to reproduce, because I don't recall seeing an official response to this being an issue.

For now maybe we can assume "≥2Mbps upload speed" as a system requirement for multiplayer.

AlienX
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Map downloading causes internet to drop / desync issues

Post by AlienX »

As for your delta download statement, this is near enough impossible to achieve.
As the whole world is constantly processing active chunks, your client would have to have a complete understanding of the whole world, not request it as it's needed.

You could however attempt at setting the servers max upload speed to something in your upload speed range, while giving some headroom to other players - however your upload speed of 0.5m is (as said) not enough to host a Factorio server successfully.

I would recommend you either rent a factorio server that runs constantly, or use one the free services that can be found on this forum.

Return to “Technical Help”