Can't catch up to empty server

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
moonoob
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Can't catch up to empty server

Post by moonoob »

Hey,
I am a little confused. I just moved all my stuff including a factorio headless server to a more powerful VPS, with two E5-2680 v4 cores, hoping it would help with keeping up those UPS.
But now I am really confused. Loading up my test map the first time worked, but performance was really bad. Strangely it were the FPS that were too low to play. UPS/FPS looked something like 55/4.
Loading up the same map locally works just fine with UPS/FPS around 50/50. I am now not able to connect to my own, empty server, because it says my computer can't keep up. Why do I even have to catch up, to an empty server?
My local machine is running an i5-2500k, that chip isn't the newest one, but overclocked to 4,5Ghz it really should be able to keep up to most of the Xeons in single core performance.
How do fix this? I don't want to migrate the server back to my shitty VPS just to slow it down on purpose.

The server log (attached as well) is full with exactly this line:

Code: Select all

75.493 Info UnparsedNetworkMessage.cpp:87: Invalid packet (type ClientToServerHeartbeat) received from 95.90.245.78:5837: heartbeat outside latency window
  75.493 Info UnparsedNetworkMessage.cpp:98: Message data: 06 00 23 d2 74 3c 19 a5 f4 01
95.90.245.78 is, of course my current ip. Ping server to client is 23ms.

Please help :( :( I would be thankful for every suggestion.

Greetings,
Max

EDIT:
At the time of writing the server is up and open. Name is Test10 on latest experimental version. I try to keep it on latest version, but it's hard to keep up with your update speed :D
Attachments
factorio-current.log
client log
(6.84 KiB) Downloaded 94 times
factorio-current_server.log
server log
(32.49 KiB) Downloaded 89 times
mp2.zip
save
(41.69 MiB) Downloaded 88 times

moonoob
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Can't catch up to empty server

Post by moonoob »

This is not the best follow-up for people getting here from search-engines and stuff, but it just somehow works again :D
I was stupid before and forgot, I could change the game speed. So I just set the game speed to 0.9 via my server manager (factorio-multienv-ctl, great fork of Bisa's init script) and connected just fine. The strange thing is, that I could set game speed back to 1 and even higher and reconnect without problems anyway. Maybe it was this bugfix in the 0.15.25 update that helped me aswell somehow? No clue...

Code: Select all

- Fixed a desync when loading save files from different game versions. (https://forums.factorio.com/50331)
Other than that, I don't have any ideas and sadly didn't try to connect to server before slowing down the game speed :/

Anyways, this is solved for now and me :)

Return to “Technical Help”