Error when updating

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
deer_buster
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Error when updating

Post by deer_buster »

So, for a while now (probably since around 0.15.10 or so, if I had to guess), whenever the autoupdater tries to update, it detects the update....downloads the update (I've verified this many times in the Temp folder). However, when it tries to perform the update, it gets to the point where factorio restarts, and I get the following message "Error when opening *path-to-game-folder*\bin\x64\factorio.exe for writing: Permission denied". I click on Okay, and the EXE isn't there to run anymore.

I've tried many different things...running as Administrator, setting advanced properties to always use Administrator, setting compatibility to use Administrator, using both the EXE installer and the ZIP distribution. I am at my wits end on this, as I always have to either install again, or extract again from the updated downloads.

I am running windows 7 Ultimate x64

mexmer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Error when updating

Post by mexmer »

if your game is in program files, try reseting game folder permissions

see here
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=46089

other culprit might be antivirus.

deer_buster
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by deer_buster »

mexmer wrote:if your game is in program files, try reseting game folder permissions

see here

It is not in program files...I've tried it in multiple places but right now it is in a "games" folder on my E drive

mexmer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by mexmer »

deer_buster wrote:
mexmer wrote:if your game is in program files, try reseting game folder permissions

see here

It is not in program files...I've tried it in multiple places but right now it is in a "games" folder on my E drive
then just check permission, or ideally set them to be inherited from parent folder.

deer_buster
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by deer_buster »

mexmer wrote:
deer_buster wrote:

see here

then just check permission, or ideally set them to be inherited from parent folder.
The permissions looked fine, but just in case I cascaded FULL control to all users, and verified that I was the owner.

deer_buster
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by deer_buster »

Results from trying to go to 0.15.23 after manually forcing permissions and verifying ownership..

Code: Select all

0.001 2017-06-22 22:09:39; Factorio 0.15.22 (build 30380, win64, alpha)
   0.001 Operating system: Windows 7 Service Pack 1
   0.001 Not rotating logs.
   0.001 Info Updater-win32.cpp:125: Starting updater
   0.001 Info Updater.cpp:382: Applying update C:\Users\*****\AppData\Roaming\Factorio\temp\core-win64-0.15.22-0.15.23-update.zip
   0.101 Error Updater-win32.cpp:148: Error when opening E:\Games\Factorio_0.15\bin\x64\factorio.exe for writing: Permission denied
   0.101 Error Util.cpp:62: Error when opening E:\Games\Factorio_0.15\bin\x64\factorio.exe for writing: Permission denied
   1.721 Goodbye

mexmer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by mexmer »

guess some dev will need to look at that.

for me problem disappeared, when i fixed folder permissions, but since it doesn't help for you.

also you don't happen to be running also another instance of factorio as server? (i do sometimes, but i have server in separate folder and update each - eg. game and server - individualy)

deer_buster
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by deer_buster »

mexmer wrote:guess some dev will need to look at that.
I hope so...it's very frustrating....

mexmer wrote:also you don't happen to be running also another instance of factorio as server? (i do sometimes, but i have server in separate folder and update each - eg. game and server - individualy)
Never on my game machine. My server is running on a separate linux PC

deer_buster
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by deer_buster »

Devs??? Anyone????

deer_buster
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by deer_buster »