Distribution of entity update time

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
muustalu
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Distribution of entity update time

Post by muustalu »

Hi,

https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-82 mentioned the distribution of entity update time. But it was some time ago and things have gotten better since then. Could someone post a updated distribution of entity update time? Or can i get it myself somehow? It would be great to get it for my own save game to see where the time goes and where can make some changes.

Main reason for this is optimizing my MP game to allow not so high end pc's play my somewhat bigger game.

Thank you.

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Distribution of entity update time

Post by DaveMcW »

muustalu wrote:optimizing my MP game to allow not so high end pc's play my somewhat bigger game.

Code: Select all

/c game.speed = 0.75

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

What ever you've built the most of is what's going to be taking the time.

There's no one thing that you could do to reduce it except "build less".

Every machine has a fixed cost to run. Adding more increases the cost linearly - no one machine or set of machines will be taking a massive % over the rest.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

muustalu
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by muustalu »

Thank you DaveMcW, I was aware of that and i would not like to use that, i like the game at it's normal speed.

Rseding91, on that fff post, there are plans for the top 5. I don't know if they are still plans or are they implemented already. So, based on that list i got rid of all solar panels, accumulators, lamps, boilers, smoke and some more minor things. Mainly because later in the game you have night vision and nuclear power that render those obsolete and i do not know and cannot measure if an entity that is not in use still takes as much simulating time. Maybe it was in vain because the impact is not so big anymore but that list is the latest info, perhaps there are new entities that have been added and are high on the list. The general response is to switch from belts to bots and reduce factories by using speed modules and beacons. Is that still true? There are mixed results in the forums.

I do not expect a silver bullet from that list because you would have fixed it already if there were any, but it would give valuable advice when planning. For example, if belts are still in the second place then one should use more trains for long distances and reduce distances in-base also or eliminate belts where possible. So, if it does not jeopardize the spiderbot plans, would it be possible to get an updated list or is there a way for me to get one myself?

On a side note: if i start a new game and stand completely still, why does the entity count keep rising, even after many minutes?

Thank you.

mp0011
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by mp0011 »

Is it possible to reduce game speed, but increase (with single command) speed of everything?

I mean set game speed to 0.5, but speed-up everything (train speed, bots speed, walking speed, research speed etc.) x2?

So, on old computer or big factory someone can reduce game speed to 0.25, but increase everything x4, having less lags and CPU load, but without speed penalty? I know he lose accuracy in some calculations, maybe turrets may not hit all the targets, trains may miss some signals with setting to high, but it may be worth to try in some cases...

Return to “Technical Help”