Possible to see breakdown of time usage by entity?

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
iceman_1212
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Possible to see breakdown of time usage by entity?

Post by iceman_1212 »

Is it possible for a player to see a breakdown of time usage (from the "Show time usage" debug option) by type of entity (e.g., inserters, belts, pipes, etc.)? For example, we saw the breakdown below from the devs in FFF #82 (https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-82) and I was curious if it's possible for players to see a similar breakdown of their factories (e.g., via a script).

I have done my best to optimize my factory so far and "entity updates" is now the primary sizeable usage.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Possible to see breakdown of time usage by entity?

Post by Rseding91 »

No, "entity update" is just "all entities that consume CPU time". AKA: everything you build in the world that does stuff. Belts, assembling machines, furnaces, radars, steam turbines, pipes, turrets and so on.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

daggot
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by daggot »

I've wondered this too. We've hit the wall with our maps every time now. I would be great to know if some entities should be preferred over others. I assume we need to go more trains vs belts if at all possible, and it does seem that using more logistics over belts too.

AlienX
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by AlienX »

We were having issues in our mega base with entity update time.
I ran a few commands to remove all transport belts, splitters and underground belts from the map - and also to clear up the ground item clutter left behind as well... Then replaced all of the areas with silo'ed roboport networks.

Entity update went from about 17-18 (on a game speed of 100%) to around 8-9.

I would recommend replacing your belts with roboport networks, not a massive one either - silo them out and only connect other networks with ones that are necessary.

if you would like an example please feel free to drop me a PM and I can invite you to my server so you can see :)

Also, remove all fish - they are useless :P

Code: Select all

I typed this here, might be wrong...
/c for _, fish in game.player.surface.find_entities_filtered{name="fish"} do fish.destroy() end
Cheers

UrbanNinja
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by UrbanNinja »

Do you mean absolutely all belts?

For example if I have a chain of furnaces, should I get a requester / provider chest combo for each and everyone of them?

AlienX
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by AlienX »

Indeed Yeah, my mega base now has zero belts of any type, it's totally bot based

Return to “Technical Help”