Super laggy singleplayer (since .15?)

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
mrhubris
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Super laggy singleplayer (since .15?)

Post by mrhubris »

It has been a while since I played the game but since .15 came out I decided to start a new map. I installed 3 mods: RSO, Rampany AI and Upgrade planner.
Now after a few hours into the game I noticed it began to lag. My base wasn't that big yet, I've made bigger bases in .13 and .14 on the same computer. Now I am around the stage where I have the 4th science pack (blue) and the game is almost unplayable. A constant UPS/FPS of under 35 with occasional spikes to under 20, autosave takes 30 seconds.
I tried disabling all my mods but that didn't really make a difference.
Does anybody have an idea if this is because of something since the update, if it is a mod, if it is my laptop?

Thanks for the help!

Veden
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Super laggy singleplayer (since .15?)

Post by Veden »

You may try clearing all biters and see if the UPS comes back.

/c game.forces.enemy.kill_all_units()

If you would like to share your save with me, I can take a look. My guess it is something that Rampant is doing.

mrhubris
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by mrhubris »

Thanks for the reply!
I tried the command but it didn't help.
The game starts out fine, but as after 30ish seconds it slows down to a crawl.
You can find my savegame here: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AlzgnmDCdOXphbFCjUygkNVRD7fy4Q

Veden
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Veden »

When I loaded up your save it seems to run fine. Do you have limited RAM on your laptop? Have you tried turning down the settings and see if it makes a difference?

When you tired the biter removal, did you try it on the save with the mods and without the mods?

The newest version of Rampant has some better biter groups detection for removing some of the rings biters.

As a side note, I thank you for the save from it I'm going to see if I cant make some changes to Rampant to only create attack unit groups when they can path to the base.

mrhubris
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by mrhubris »

I just tried the removal in both cases. Not really a difference.
Even when disabling all mods do I get a performance drop.
When disabling all mods I notice I have about half the FPS than UPS and some moments the UPS drops as well.
I'm playing on a fairly old laptop which used to be "high end". I have 8gb of RAM.

lexx
Inserter
Inserter

Post by lexx »

mrhubris wrote:I just tried the removal in both cases. Not really a difference.
Even when disabling all mods do I get a performance drop.
When disabling all mods I notice I have about half the FPS than UPS and some moments the UPS drops as well.
I'm playing on a fairly old laptop which used to be "high end". I have 8gb of RAM.
i am getting 180 UPS on this save (.15.x has about 2x the performance vs .14.x)

what is your CPU make and model (trying to run factorio or games on likes of AMD E and some lower number AMD A cpus or Intel N Type Cpus won't end well)

also saving taking so long to save a 3MB file could be HDD failing issue or all ram used up (unlikely ram due to 8GB unless you installed 32Bit version of windows then you only have access to about 3GB ish)

to check HDD life (to see if errors have been logged) install HDD sentinel to see if the health is below 100% if it's a HDD any thing below 100% could be a issue, (Note if its a SSD then Health = remaining life so not a actual problem just how long its got left until it stops working which is typically over 10 years)

mrhubris
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by mrhubris »

I have an Intel i7 Q740 and sentinel reports 92% health but 100% performance, apparently I have some bad sectors that have been moved.
Maybe I'll chalk it up to my laptop just being old hah (i bought it in 2010/2011) ! But my laptop was also old when playing .13 with less troubles about a year ago.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

How do you get 180 UPS? Seems normally the game is limited to 60.

alexzzzz
Inserter
Inserter

Post by alexzzzz »

mrvn wrote:How do you get 180 UPS? Seems normally the game is limited to 60.

Code: Select all

/c game.speed = 10

lexx
Inserter
Inserter

Post by lexx »

mrhubris wrote:I have an Intel i7 Q740 and sentinel reports 92% health but 100% performance, apparently I have some bad sectors that have been moved.
Maybe I'll chalk it up to my laptop just being old hah (i bought it in 2010/2011) ! But my laptop was also old when playing .13 with less troubles about a year ago.
Ignore performance, any thing less then 100% on health on a HDD is typically bad, in your case you noted sector relocate has happened and other sectors might also have problems (hdd are very bad at relocating sectors that are not allways working all the time and can have severe impact on the pc like saving a 3MB file as your factorio is trying to do or random system freezes)

Hdds can begin to fail at any time due to magnetic and spinning mechanical nature (and drop and vibrations when on)

Replace the HDD in the laptop and your problems will go away (recommend a 240-250gb ssd or larger as you can get them for about £50-70 used to new, you think you got a new laptop with a ssd)

If you know what your doing you can clone the old hdd (if it let you due to problems on the disk) if you have windows 10 installed and want a fresh install, download and make Windows 10 install disk/usb with correct language, once done put new ssd in and just install it with no key, it automatically activate once your connected to Internet, (assuming you had windows 10 on system before)

BurnHard
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BurnHard »

Do you have a browser-window open with eg youtube or some other video? This always kills my performance for some strange reason (i5-2500k@4Ghz, 16GB Ram)

lexx
Inserter
Inserter

Post by lexx »

BurnHard wrote:Do you have a browser-window open with eg youtube or some other video? This always kills my performance for some strange reason (i5-2500k@4Ghz, 16GB Ram)
Its his hdd he has bad sectors on his disk

mrhubris
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by mrhubris »

Thanks for the advice guys! I've been contemplating buying a new computer but have always put it off. A failing hard drive might be a good excuse to spend some money and buy something a bit more modern in the summer.

I always close all possible programs before running any game, I also noticed huge impact if e.g. chrome is running

Return to “Technical Help”