[0.15.x] Unable to determine external IP

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
Sandford27
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[0.15.x] Unable to determine external IP

Post by Sandford27 »

When trying to host a server, I continuously get the "Unable to determine external IP address, player's might not be able to join" error box on startup as seen below.
Factorio Error.png
Factorio Error.png (72.51 KiB) Viewed 4157 times
I played the save for four days in a row each evening for 3-5hrs each this past week. We took Thursday off and tried to play Friday evening. We had added some new mods and the game went from 0.15.11 to 0.15.12, but the router and PC were the same. The error started popping up then, but also says matching server connection resumed. I researched the issue and found people online who said to try disabling NAT on the router. I did that to no avail. I tried disabling the firewall and that did not fix the issue. So I went through and researched the issue as best as I could and found no one else was having this issue with the most recent game version. I tried starting a new game thinking maybe the save got messed up but that did not fix it. I disabled mods one by one and then all the mods at once and tried relaunching the server with no luck. We eventually had my friend host the game since he had saved the game the last time we played. We had no issues besides some lag (since his PC and internet aren't idea for hosting).

Does anyone have any suggestions on things to try, potential causes of this issue, or any ideas in general on what the cause could be?

Thanks
-Sandford27

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [0.15.x] Unable to determine external IP

Post by Loewchen »

It means that you contacted the factorio ping pong servers with different IPs.
Moved to technical help.

Sandford27
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Sandford27 »

Loewchen wrote:It means that you contacted the factorio ping pong servers with different IPs.
Moved to technical help.

How would I fix this issue? At this point, I am not even running a router in my network, no mods, just 0.15.12 and still can not host the game. It continuously says failed to determine external IP. I also contacted my ISP and troubleshooted with their support and had no luck with that as I am receiving everything from them as I should.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

Post a log of you trying to host and getting the error, see my signature on how to find the log.

Sandford27
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Sandford27 »

factorio-current.log
(6.35 KiB) Downloaded 154 times

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

Code: Select all

50.983 Warning ServerRouter.cpp:469: Received own adddress message reply with conflicting address (got 204.8.12.246:51445, expected 204.8.12.246:34197)
Something is changing the port of your message, look for a setting in your router called something like source port-randomization and disable it.

Sandford27
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Sandford27 »

I have a direct link from my computer to my modem. I figured out my router was having other issues (its old) so I have taken it offline all together. How do I determine what is changing my ports now? Here is the most recent log.

I have no router, so I do not know how to stop the ports from changing.

Code: Select all

17.107 Warning ServerRouter.cpp:469: Received own adddress message reply with conflicting address (got 204.8.12.246:54651, expected 204.8.12.246:34197)
  17.108 Warning ServerMultiplayerManager.cpp:563: Determining own address has failed. Best guess: 204.8.12.246:34197

factorio-current.log
(7.93 KiB) Downloaded 108 times

Return to “Technical Help”