Override data directory on OSX

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
Alxandr
Inserter
Inserter

Override data directory on OSX

Post by Alxandr »

Hi. I'm trying to override the data directory on OSX. I've tried following guides at https://wiki.factorio.com/Application_directory and viewtopic.php?f=49&t=12819&p=87281#p87281, and I've tried moving the config-path.cfg to different places in the file hierarchy (both outside and inside factorio.app) but have not managed to achieve any success. Could we please get some specific instructions on which files needs to go where (relative to what other files), and what the content need to be in order to run factorio so that it does not touch "Library/Application Support"?

quyxkh
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Override data directory on OSX

Post by quyxkh »

config-path.cfg in the install dir (afaict factorio just looks two levels up from the executable) says where to find the config if you don't specify one on the command line. read-path and write-path in that config say where the data dirs are, paths are relative to the start dir but `.` doesn't work, but a symlink fixes that, minimal local server setup looks to be

Code: Select all

mkdir mygame; cd $_; ln -s . data
printf >config.ini %s\\n [path] read-data=__PATH__executable__/../../data write-data=data
/path/to/your/factorio -c config.ini --create saves/mp.zip
/path/to/your/factorio -c config.ini --start-server-load-latest

Alxandr
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Alxandr »

I'm not running factorio from the command line though. Or rather, I am, but I'm not running it as a normal process, I'm starting it using the `open` command. To get more concrete, let's say I have factorio installed at /foo, in which case I can start it using:

open -a /foo/factorio.app
How would I get saves at `/foo/saves` (or anything else under `/foo`), and mods and config ++ under `/foo`?

quyxkh
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by quyxkh »

Unless something's changed about how `open` works on the mac, you can pass arguments after `--args`, replace /path/to etc above with `open -a factorio --args` or whatever.

Alxandr
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Alxandr »

So, I just tested this.

Game is positioned at

~/foo/factorio.app
Config file is positioned at

~/foo/config/config.ini
Config file content:

[path]
read-data=__PATH__executable__/../../data
write-data=/Users/alxandr/foo/data
Command run:

open -a /Users/alxandr/foo/factorio.app --args /Users/alxandr/foo/config/config.ini
I'm still seeing my saves in Application Support.

quyxkh
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by quyxkh »

You're missing the `-c`

Alxandr
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Alxandr »

Thanks, that worked :)