LAN play on 1 copy

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
Pirate
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

LAN play on 1 copy

Post by Pirate »

Is it ok or even possible to play LAN multiplayer with 1 copy of the game? I'm using the Steam version these days but I bought the game from the website. Is the website version DRM-free? Is this even the right place to ask this?

nevniv
Inserter
Inserter

Re: LAN play on 1 copy

Post by nevniv »

I think it is funny that you said you bought the game but you decided to make your username "Pirate" so you could ask if there is any DRM :roll:

Anyway, to your question..When you say LAN multiplayer, do you mean you are trying to use one copy of the game on several computers at your home to play with family? If yes, that should work... for more details I direct you here

Pirate
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Pirate »

Pirate is basically my nickname everywhere but it's because I got called that on one temp job and I went with it cause I'm a seafarer IRL and I love the sea and sailing. I'm so used to the irony that occurred here I keep forgetting about it. It's ironic cause I haven't pirated a game in like 10 years or something.

I was asking this since it's actually really hard to find this information in the EULA. The game is available on GOG.com and it's DRM-free there but that's not where I bought it.
While I strongly believe it should be allowed to play LAN multiplayer using a single copy of the game if it really isn't I'll get another copy (maybe from GOG this time ;)). It's not a big deal but I won't be happy about it. Most of the reason I buy games is to support the devs but if I wanna play multiplayer with my girlfriend I shouldn't have to buy a 2nd copy. It's just a matter of principle - I can afford a 2nd copy but a kid somewhere maybe can't. Or maybe he can't persuade his parents that he needs 2 copies so he can play a game with his brother or something. When I was kid my parents would have never understood that. Even now I probably couldn't explain that to them.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

Pirate wrote:Is it ok or even possible to play LAN multiplayer with 1 copy of the game? I'm using the Steam version these days but I bought the game from the website. Is the website version DRM-free? Is this even the right place to ask this?
The website version is DRM free, and the .zip download doesn't require installation, so it is somewhat easier to share the game,
From a technical standpoint, it is very easy to play LAN with only 1 purchase of the game

Return to “Technical Help”