AMD GPU not used by factorio by default on lapptop

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
mcwaffles2003
Inserter
Inserter

AMD GPU not used by factorio by default on lapptop

Post by mcwaffles2003 »

Alright, Can someone help me here?

i get heavy fps drops in game
i have a Dell Latitude E6440 (Intel Core i7, 2.9GHz, 16GB ram) with a AMD Radeon HD 8690M card in it
i cant seem to find a way to get factorio to use the card and my intel hD graphics only gives 128mb of video memory

id really like to be able to enable hi res to really see the visual improvements in 0.15.x

anybody got any ideas?
Attachments
dedicated VM.png
dedicated VM.png (928.52 KiB) Viewed 3984 times
112 mb wat.png
112 mb wat.png (2.32 MiB) Viewed 3984 times
Last edited by mcwaffles2003 on Thu May 04, 2017 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

mcwaffles2003
Inserter
Inserter

Re: graphics problems

Post by mcwaffles2003 »

bump

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

You will not be able to use the higher resolution graphics with this graphic solution while having playable frame rates as well, you would need to upgrade your graphics card for that.

mcwaffles2003
Inserter
Inserter

Post by mcwaffles2003 »

Well is there any way for me to at least be able to get factorio to utilize the graphics card at all, instead of running off of intel HD integrated graphics which are using up my cpu? Maybe i cant get the high res textures but if the graphics run on my gpu and my cpu is only utilized for processing as opposed to video as well then at least i should see higher UPS/FPS with the current graphics setting. Surely having 1 gig of dedicated video memory would be more efficient than 112Mb of integrated memory

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

There seems to be a misunderstanding, from what you have shown, is the intel integrated graphics the only graphics solution you have, and while it is indeed integrated into your CPU it does not slow the CPU down when it is used. This integrated part of the chip has a small amount of dedicated memory of 112MB and if this amount is not sufficient it can use up to 2GB of system memory as well. The problem is, that the graphics processor and the system memory is too slow to generate a n acceptable framerate.

mcwaffles2003
Inserter
Inserter

Post by mcwaffles2003 »

since i am on a laptop im not able to change the amount of video memory intel hd utilizes, ive tried changing this through bios and no option is available. from what i understand this isnt uncommon with laptops.
i really wish i could since i have 16gb of ram a my disposal. but my overall concern is simply the lack of ability to utilize my dedicated gpu, i assure you its there as evidenced by the pic, and if i were able to use it i should have the necessary amount of memory to use hi res textures.

every other game i play, by default, uses that dedicated chip, so far factorio is the only one that is unable to
Attachments
vid card.png
vid card.png (84.1 KiB) Viewed 3872 times
disp adapters.png
disp adapters.png (29.66 KiB) Viewed 3874 times

mcwaffles2003
Inserter
Inserter

Post by mcwaffles2003 »

ive tried playing with the amd settings, making a profile for factorio and whatnot, and then launched the game from the settings panel itself. every time when i go to change the graphics to high res to find out if its using anything but the 128mb from intel hd i always revieve the msg i showed in the first post. the '112 mb" part is whats telling me the game is not even trying to utilize my dedicated gpu at all

mcwaffles2003
Inserter
Inserter

Post by mcwaffles2003 »

OK wow, so i just figured this out

ive included a picture showing 3 steps that need to be taken to fix this problem
in amd settings go to preferences
click radeon additional settings
in there click the "switchable graphics application settings" tab and set factorio to high performance, where it should by default be "not assigned"

i know there have been people ive encountered in MP games who have talked about this problem with amd gpu laptops recently other than me so i think this should be a general fix for people on amd gpu laptops

could someone sticky this for them or leave a reference in faq?
Attachments
solution.png
solution.png (1.32 MiB) Viewed 3863 times

Return to “Technical Help”