[14.22] Linux Server Multi Core? CPU 100%

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
Vaitage
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[14.22] Linux Server Multi Core? CPU 100%

Post by Vaitage »

I assume it is not possible to start "Factorio" on Linux in the multicore?

I have the problem, which is the CPU load on my root 100%.
The game speed is at 0.8.

Greeting Vaitage

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [14.22] Linux Server Multi Core? CPU 100%

Post by Loewchen »

Vaitage wrote:(...) not possible to start "Factorio" on Linux in the multicore?
What do you mean by the multicore? Run one factorio instance on multiple cores? Run several VMs on multiple cores...?

Vaitage
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Vaitage »

Hello,

I have a linux server, with 4 cores.
As can be seen in the picture, only 1 core is loaded to 100% and the server "LAGG"

Enough performance is available, but I do not know why the game uses only one core.

Greez Vaitage

EDIT: Is there a server parameter that fixes this problem?
Attachments
Screenshot_4.png
Screenshot_4.png (13.57 KiB) Viewed 2572 times

BenSeidel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BenSeidel »

Factorio is only single threaded. There was talk about 0.15 being multithreaded, but Rseding has said that it won't be happening... We still have no idea if multithreading is an end goal or if they are happy enough with it as is.
The only way to get more performance out of the game is to invest in a water cooling system. If that is not good enough you can find some liquid nitrogen based ones as well, but you won't be able to play multiplayer.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

Vaitage wrote:Hello,

I have a linux server, with 4 cores.
As can be seen in the picture, only 1 core is loaded to 100% and the server "LAGG"

Enough performance is available, but I do not know why the game uses only one core.

Greez Vaitage

EDIT: Is there a server parameter that fixes this problem?
What you describe is expected behaviour with the current version of the game, there is no parameter to generally change that. See Performance issues in the FAQ on how to build more performance friendly if you have not already.

HOSH
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by HOSH »

Like Lowchen said First check out the Performance issues in the FAQ. I had a 4Ghz box so we tired Main bus concept with all bobs mod and 2k bots, that was not the best thing to try... Fun, but running full tilt on a lot of items it lagged like crazy with clients always trying to catch up...

What speed is the server single core running at? A few people have found if you have a fast single core speed that the individuals connect have more lag, even though they have just as fast or faster computers. So I ended up putting the Linux on a VM host that we down-clocked to 2.5 Ghz, but still used SSD and a good amount of memory. Others just down-clocked the CPU on bare metal Linux installs.

Had an older PE2950 server running 2.4Ghz located offsite for all of us with 1GB internet so we started a bobs mods + LTN and some others using the train city block design. For the most part it runs great but we are experiencing LAG and desync issues with limited RAM (not as fast only DDR2-667) and HDD I/O (15k-SCSI in Raid 5 with other VMs) being the bottleneck when using large blueprints or FARL and blueprints at the same time.

Return to “Technical Help”