Is this Laptop able to play Factorio?

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
Blackjack1000K
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Is this Laptop able to play Factorio?

Post by Blackjack1000K »

Hey guys,
Im about to buy a new Laptop that is made for gaming but i need to know if i can play this game on the system im planning to buy.
here are the specs

Code: Select all

Asus X452CP-VX042H
TECH SPECS
Processor			:	Intel Core i3-3217U Processor (3M Cache, 1.80 GHz)
Operating System	:	Windows 8
Chipset			:	Intel® HM76 Express Chipset
Memory			:	4GB DDR3
Display			:	14-inch 16:9 HD/GL/LED (1366x768)
Graphic			:	AMD Radeon® HD 8530M with 1GB DDR3 VRAM
Storage			:	500GB HDD 5400
Optical Drive		:	Super-Multi DVD
Card Reader		:	3 -in-1 card reader ( SD/ SDHC/ SDXC)
Camera			:	HD Web Camera 
Networking		:	Integrated 802.11 b/g/n
					Built-in Bluetooth™ V4.0 (Optional)
					10/100/1000 Base T
Interface			:	1 x COMBO audio jack 
					1 x VGA port/Mini D-sub 15-pin for external monitor
					2 x USB 3.0 port(s) 
					1 x RJ45 LAN Jack for LAN insert 
					1 x HDMI 
Audio			:	Built-in Speakers And Analog Microphone
					SonicMaster

Battery			:	4Cells 2600 mAh 37 Whrs
Power Adapter		:	Output :
					19 V DC, 3.42 A, 65 W
					Input :
					100 -240 V AC, 50/60 Hz universal
Dimensions		:	348 x 241 x 24.8 ~31.7 mm (WxDxH)
Weight			:	2.1 kg (with 4 cell battery)
Security			:	LoJack
I hope i can get a fast reply on this one, im really Itching to play Factorio on a faster Laptop :)
If im able to play it on this system, what settings do you recommend?
[Sorry for my english]

hoho
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Is this Laptop able to play Factorio?

Post by hoho »

It should be quite good for Factorio but probably won't run more demanding stuff. The GPU isn't the strongest in there

FreeER
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FreeER »

Blackjack1000K wrote:a new Laptop that is made for gaming
Practically any laptop 'made for gaming' will run Factorio. Period (full stop) end of story (just an expression to say that's all there is to it). However, I did look at the specs and yes, it looks to me like it'd run Factorio fine (I won't guarantee it however, just because I don't like giving guarantees...).

As for 'settings', graphically there really aren't many (if any) settings (other than low graphics if you happen to have a video card without enough memory which should not be a problem here). As for freeplay settings, I mostly leave everything on normal except for the starting area which I increase just a bit above the normal (I'm a slow builder and like the extra time).

You might wait for a response from someone else to see if they would say anything different (I personally dislike following the advice of just one person if I'm really not sure about something)...just a suggestion because it's possible that I'm wrong :)
Blackjack1000K wrote:[Sorry for my english]
No apologies needed here :D

edit before submit:
hoho wrote:It should be quite good for Factorio but probably won't run more demanding stuff. The GPU isn't the strongest in there
Oops, almost forgot to mention that, yeah the CPU isn't the greatest at only 1.8Ghz (even if it is dual core), of course I'm running a quad core 1.5Ghz (but it's a few years old now).
edit after I slept: I have no idea what I was thinking here... ignore that edit (not that hoho could at the time) lol.
<I'm really not active any more so these may not be up to date>
~FreeER=Factorio Modding
- Factorio Wiki
- My Factorio Modding Guide
- Wiki Modding Guide
Feel free to pm me :)
Or drop into #factorio on irc.esper.net

hoho
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by hoho »

FreeER wrote:edit before submit:
hoho wrote:It should be quite good for Factorio but probably won't run more demanding stuff. The GPU isn't the strongest in there
Oops, almost forgot to mention that, yeah the CPU isn't the greatest at only 1.8Ghz (even if it is dual core), of course I'm running a quad core 1.5Ghz (but it's a few years old now).
CPU-wise the thing is quite good. I3's are extremely good at gaming and will beat non I-series CPUs out of the water even with 30% clock frequency deficiency. Vast majority of games don't multithread anywhere near well so having more than two cores doesn't help much. For example my laptop has an I-series CPU too at 1.7GHz but in Minecraft (MASSIVELY CPU dependant game) it's almost 3x as fast as my 2.4GHz Core2Quad. Though in most games the c2q based machine is stronger thanks to significantly better GPU :)

Though, as I said, the GPU is the main problem for most games. You won't be able to crank up resolution (with external monitor) and anti-alias on more demanding games.

Blackjack1000K
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Blackjack1000K »

Haha just went to game-debate to do a little bit more research, it seems to handle quite decent games in 30-40 FPS in high settings.
Thanks for the replies :)
really helpful.

Return to “Technical Help”