[0.14.21] Youtube won't play videos while game is open

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
Ateya
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[0.14.21] Youtube won't play videos while game is open

Post by Ateya »

I am having the issue that Youtube videos won't play while I have the game open, if I close the game and start the video it works fine. If I have the video already playing and open the game, Factorio gives me the error "Couldn't initialise audio, audio is disabled." so it seems the issue is to do with audio.

I am running OpenSuse tumbleweed 64 bit as my OS and I have steam running through the Gearsongallium docker image, I'm not sure if the docker image is causing the problem or not but I thought I should post the bug nonetheless.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I'm using the steam version of Factorio. I have not tried running the standalone version.
Attachments
factorio-previous.log
Sound working
(1.95 KiB) Downloaded 90 times
factorio-current.log
Sound not working
(2.21 KiB) Downloaded 89 times

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.14.21] Youtube won't play videos while game is open

Post by DaveMcW »

Can you try the non steam version? You can download it here if you link your steam account.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

That sounds like a driver issue. Factorio doesn't interact with any external programs while it runs.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

yousai
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by yousai »

I'm not familiar with OpenSUSE but it sounds like you have not setup sound mixing properly in ALSA. You'll need something like PulseAudio or dmix to hear sound from multiple applications at the same time.

This ArchLinux wiki entry might be of help: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ad ... cture#Dmix

Ateya
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Ateya »

Thanks for the suggestions guys but I've been searching around for if anyone else is experiencing anything similar; It looks like some people have had similar issues relating to sound coming from applications inside and outside of the docker container at the same time. It's very likely this is an issue relating specifically to docker.

The whole reason I was using steam in a docker container was to avoid steam having issues with libraries on the system, however due to a recent update to the Linux version of steam I may be able to just use steam as you normally would. The issue doesn't occur when I use steam outside of the docker container.

The change to the Linux version of steam that I'm talking about for anyone interested is: "Improved interactions between the Steam runtime and host distribution libraries, which should let Steam work out of the box with open-source graphics drivers on modern distributions."

Thank you for your help, Do I need to do anything like mark the thread as closed or can I leave the thread as is?

Return to “Technical Help”