FPS drop only in multiplayer

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
ImKrille
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

FPS drop only in multiplayer

Post by ImKrille »

I have a problem where fps sometimes drops from max to 5-20 fps when playing in multiplayer, it doesn't matter where in the game I am or how much is on the screen.
I can't figure out what's causing this because if I load the exact same map in single player I have no lag at all. If I host a dedicated server on my own computer or connect to my brothers server with the same map I get these random fps drops while he has no lag whatsoever. It does not seem to be directly tied to graphic settings I get the same results on max or lowest graphical settings.
Me and my brother play on similar computers and I can't understand why only I get these fps drops.
I have only found one way to trigger a fps drop on purpose which is if I open up a large container and slide the drag bar up and down fast, even on an empty container.
If I do the same thing in single player I get no significant fps drop.
We play on a large factory map with alot of mods.

Any ideas what could be causing this only to happen in multiplayer?

Attached image with show_time_used_percent while abusing a warehouse.
Attachments
FactorioLag.jpg
FactorioLag.jpg (641.41 KiB) Viewed 2398 times

Sacredd
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: FPS drop only in multiplayer

Post by Sacredd »

Remove the mod add_loader.
It is using to many resources on script update (on_tick function).
Next one to remove would be bottleneck.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

If you want to investigate what causes those lags/slow downs, creating different slowdowns with warehouses is not getting you anywhere. Based on your description I assume your machine can not sustain 60ups and therefore when playing MP is ending up repeatedly trying to catch up to the server.
Remove the most taxing mods and performance optimize the map and you should be able to play without the issue.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

In 0.14 inventory gui is quite performance heavy. It is not noticeable with normal inventory sizes, but it shows with Warehouses. This has been fixed for 0.15.

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Nexela »

Sacredd wrote:Remove the mod add_loader.
It is using to many resources on script update (on_tick function).
Next one to remove would be bottleneck.
Keeping add-loader is fine if you don't use the loaders on cargo-wagons, Bottleneck can be toggled off (b key) when not needed to improve performance.

Return to “Technical Help”