Headless MP performance bad compared to in-game MP

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
MimigaKing
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Headless MP performance bad compared to in-game MP

Post by MimigaKing »

Hello, I've just finished some somewhat basic tests on a server me and my friends are playing and it's seems that whenever we connect to a 0.14.21 headless server, our FPS/UPS is very bad, fluctuating between sub-30 to 45 while when we connect directly to an in-game MP game (via the Play/Multiplayer/Load game), we get static 50 fps (game.speed = 0.835). Take note we're playing a very heavily modded game, currently at 2.05M Entities, 32k Active.

What could possibly be the issue here?

Cheers

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Headless MP performance bad compared to in-game MP

Post by Loewchen »

You can check what is costing the most CPU time by activating show_time_used_percent in the debug settings.

MimigaKing
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by MimigaKing »

Loewchen wrote:You can check what is costing the most CPU time by activating show_time_used_percent in the debug settings.
Thanks for the reply, but I mean, what could possibly be the cause of lower performance using the headless client instead of the game client straight up? is there any CPU/RAM/whatever features that the game client uses that the headless DOS client is unable to?

Thanks again for your time :)

Sparkysam
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Sparkysam »

Loewchen wrote:You can check what is costing the most CPU time by activating show_time_used_percent in the debug settings.
This doesn't really help in terms of seeing costing, I mean when your game it helps see your own and which mods are the most intensive which in the case of our server we already knew going in which would take more power compared to others but trying to find out the effects of running headless and none are what we are trying to determine for this test, and this feature yes helpful when playing is not really a helpful for determine why they both act so differently when the MP should take more, not less.

Return to “Technical Help”