Headless Server Memory

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
graybilldustin
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Headless Server Memory

Post by graybilldustin »

I install through Steam and run a headless server with only the flags Factorio.exe --start-server-load-latest. I am on 14.21. My question is, is there some sort of limit to headless server memory that isn't present with the standalone version? We have quite a large map, the file is about 70 megs, and when I load it on my personal PC I get between 3 and 4 gigs of ram assigned to factorio.exe. However when I load on my server, which has 32 gigs of ram, The most I ever get is about 2.1 gigs. It goes immediately to this value and never moves. And the consequence is that my game time is slowed down drastically. When I run on my personal PC everything flies along just fine. Please let me know if you would like any further info.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Headless Server Memory

Post by Loewchen »

The headless server does not need memory to store the graphics, if the server is running slow then this is most likely caused by CPU performance and not memory.

graybilldustin
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by graybilldustin »

Dual processor quad core 3.0ghz xeon with 32 gigs of ram. Average CPU usage for entire server is 25 to 30 when Factorio is running (and running slowly). Average CPU usage on the PC when hosting and playing is 60 to 70% and no lag. It is not the processor. We have also tried running the headless server on linux on a machine with a single processor 3.0ghz quad core, and that one maxes out the cpu and does lag, but the lag is entirely different. Any other ideas?

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

graybilldustin wrote:Dual processor quad core 3.0ghz xeon with 32 gigs of ram. Average CPU usage for entire server is 25 to 30 when Factorio is running (and running slowly). Average CPU usage on the PC when hosting and playing is 60 to 70% and no lag. It is not the processor. We have also tried running the headless server on linux on a machine with a single processor 3.0ghz quad core, and that one maxes out the cpu and does lag, but the lag is entirely different. Any other ideas?
Factorio generally uses only one core (except for a few non gameplay tasks), so when you see 25% CPU time usage on a quadcore, then the CPU is already the limiting factor. Completely utilizing multiple cores with a single instance of factorio is not possible.

graybilldustin
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by graybilldustin »

So how is the factorio process able to use 70% of the cpu on my PC?

Smarty
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Smarty »

factorio already does some things on different cores

Return to “Technical Help”