No more 32 Bit Multiplayer?

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
Greenplanet
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

No more 32 Bit Multiplayer?

Post by Greenplanet »

Hey Fellas, i have a Question too make

Why is the Multiplayer not anymore for 32 bit System?

I wanna Play with my Friend and we have only 32 Bit Systems (Windows 7)
Since the 0.14 Update this is not more possible for us, cause the Game says Factorio Multiplayer is not more for 32 bit System

So how can we play together now without a Lanparty in the House? ^^

PS: My First Post here :roll:
Freeroom like a balloon

Artentus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: No more 32 Bit Multiplayer?

Post by Artentus »

Its just how it says, there is no multiplayer support for 32 bit.
Starting with 0.15 there will be no 32 bit support at all. I highly recommend switching to 64 bit.

Greenplanet
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Greenplanet »

Artentus wrote:Its just how it says, there is no multiplayer support for 32 bit.
Starting with 0.15 there will be no 32 bit support at all. I highly recommend switching to 64 bit.
Ok, fine, but my PC is not good for 64 Bit :(
Freeroom like a balloon

Artentus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Artentus »

Are you sure? COmputer hardware of the last decade has supported 64 bit. You computer has to be really old to not support it.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Greenplanet wrote:
Artentus wrote:Its just how it says, there is no multiplayer support for 32 bit.
The first x64 CPU arrived around 2003-2004, and the last 32 bits x86 CPUs from Intel were the Pentium 4 family. It is likely you have a 64 bits compatible hardware, but chose to have a 32 bits OS.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by impetus maximus »

why has nobody told Greenplanet the last Factorio version to support 32 bit? :?
0.14.9 was the last version to support 32 bit multiplayer. can that still be downloaded?

Artentus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Artentus »

impetus maximus wrote:why has nobody told Greenplanet the last Factorio version to support 32 bit?
Because that is not the real solution to the problem.
impetus maximus wrote:can that still be downloaded?
Not that I know of. He'd have to use 0.13.20.

tacgnol
Inserter
Inserter

Post by tacgnol »

Koub wrote:
Greenplanet wrote:
The first x64 CPU arrived around 2003-2004, and the last 32 bits x86 CPUs from Intel were the Pentium 4 family. It is likely you have a 64 bits compatible hardware, but chose to have a 32 bits OS.

First atom cpu to support x64 was made in 2008 ... before that, there was a shitload of notebook sold with a x86 cpu (N2XX)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Atom#History

Artentus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Artentus »

Does Factorio even run on these CPUs though?
From what I can tell non-64bit Atoms don't fulfill the minimum requirements of the game.

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

Artentus wrote:Does Factorio even run on these CPUs though?
From what I can tell non-64bit Atoms don't fulfill the minimum requirements of the game.
I had a netbook with an Atom N270 (32-bit), my current netbook has an N450 (64-bit) and is about the same speed. It runs Factorio with about 30-40 FPS and 60 UPS. The problem isn't the CPU, it might even be fine for medium bases. The problem is that Atoms are usually used in netbooks or other low-energy platforms and they are not made with gaming in mind. The 64-bit netbook has an Intel GMA 3150 graphics chip which is barely able to run the game, the only reason it runs at all is because it uses shared RAM as graphics memory.
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

Bushdoctor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Bushdoctor »

The thing is that the game was sold to us with a working multiplayer option at 32 bit and many people bought it for that specific reason.
Taking that option away is not only a slap in the face to all those customers, but may be a legal reason for those people to get their money back.

The game No Man's Sky was advertised with features not available in the final game and got a lot of shiet for that.
Factorio went a step further though. They first included an important option and, after a while, took it out!

Now, I understand that the devs had to go to 64bit for technical reasons, but that doesn't take away from the fact
that you screwed over a LOT of customers with that.

Oh, and to the people who suggest switching to a 64bit OS... Are you out of your frikking minds?! You really think I want to uproot
my entire PC, install a different OS, find 64 bit versions of ALL the software I'm running and re-install ALL of that? Just to run a single game?
Seriously, that's just as good advice as telling someone to get a new car because their 2nd gear doesn't work anymore.
You guys.... Just never apply for a job in customer service please.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

Bushdoctor wrote:The thing is that the game was sold to us with a working multiplayer option at 32 bit and many people bought it for that specific reason.
Taking that option away is not only a slap in the face to all those customers, but may be a legal reason for those people to get their money back.

The game No Man's Sky was advertised with features not available in the final game and got a lot of shiet for that.
Factorio went a step further though. They first included an important option and, after a while, took it out!

Now, I understand that the devs had to go to 64bit for technical reasons, but that doesn't take away from the fact
that you screwed over a LOT of customers with that.

Oh, and to the people who suggest switching to a 64bit OS... Are you out of your frikking minds?! You really think I want to uproot
my entire PC, install a different OS, find 64 bit versions of ALL the software I'm running and re-install ALL of that? Just to run a single game?
Seriously, that's just as good advice as telling someone to get a new car because their 2nd gear doesn't work anymore.
You guys.... Just never apply for a job in customer service please.
The factorio versions 0.13 and under still support 32-bit multiplayer

Purchasing the game entitles you to all our future updates, but we make no promises of what features we add or remove between versions.
This was discussed a while ago when we announced it on our friday facts,
And it was not a decision we might lightly,
But it is for the benefit of the 99% of the other players who do not use 32-bit

Artentus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Artentus »

Bushdoctor wrote:You really think I want to uproot
You are making it sound a lot worse than it actually is.
Reinstalling Windows takes about 15 minutes and 32 bit software runs perfectly fine on 64 bit.
Also, no one talked about deleting your old OS. It is the cleanest way but you can always just install a 64 bit OS alongside your old one.

Bushdoctor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Bushdoctor »

Klonan wrote:
The factorio versions 0.13 and under still support 32-bit multiplayer

Purchasing the game entitles you to all our future updates, but we make no promises of what features we add or remove between versions.
This was discussed a while ago when we announced it on our friday facts,
And it was not a decision we might lightly,
But it is for the benefit of the 99% of the other players who do not use 32-bit
First of all, thank you for your answer. This is one of the reasons why I love Factorio devs, because you keep in touch with your fan base.

I realize that older versions still use the 32bit MP setup, and I appreciate you pointing that out, but it still means I can't connect to the rest of the world,
only to my friends who are running the same version. But, yea, point taken.

I understand you didn't take this decision lightly. You must have anticipated reactions like mine.
I do think you're wrong about the amount of people still using 32bit though.. But then again, mine is just an estimate.
Artentus wrote: You are making it sound a lot worse than it actually is.
Reinstalling Windows takes about 15 minutes and 32 bit software runs perfectly fine on 64 bit.
Also, no one talked about deleting your old OS. It is the cleanest way but you can always just install a 64 bit OS alongside your old one.
That was actually quite helpful information. Thank you.

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

They have access to (anonymous) hardware stats from their users, not sure if just through Steam or through their standalone game too so their numbers are probably pretty accurate.

And as a rule of thumb you should format your computer every few years anyway. Windows gets pretty tangled after being run for so long especially if you're not basically an IT support engineer (developers don't count, in some cases can even be worse...) so a clean build occasionally is good. Keep your installers in a folder somewhere and only install stuff as you use it, significantly cuts down on the build time and you end up never installing things you don't need.

Interestingly I think the people who kicked up most of a fuss were a few not even running x86, was very odd.
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

Greenplanet
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Greenplanet »

Thanks for ALL anwers, thats a very nice Community here :)

First of all i can`t install 64 Bit, not cause of my Processor, cause RAM

So i change my Factorio back too 13.20 thanks Steam this gonna work, i hope this Option is longer then 1 month there :?

Another Question: If Steam says in the future, i cant install 13.20 anymore, then i have a problem (again), so what to do if this happens?
Freeroom like a balloon

Artentus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Artentus »

Greenplanet wrote:cause RAM
You have less than 2 GB of RAM? If so how does Factorio even run (it has a mimimum requirement of 2 GB as well)?
Greenplanet wrote:what to do if this happens?
You can always download old releases directly from the website. But I don't see a reason why 0.13 would vanish from steam.

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by impetus maximus »

Artentus wrote:
Greenplanet wrote:what to do if this happens?
You can always download old releases directly from the website. But I don't see a reason why 0.13 would vanish from steam.
you have three options for updating Factorio on steam. they all involve updating it.
update.update.or.update.png
there is no opt-out of updating. :| way to go valve *golf clap
better to download it/play from Factorio.com

[edit]seems under the beta tab you can select other versions. don't know if that will keep from updating to 0.14.* or not.
betas.png

Artentus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Artentus »

impetus maximus wrote:don't know if that will keep from updating to 0.14.* or not.
It will.

bk5115545
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by bk5115545 »

If you are just unsure if your computer will support 64bit then just post your system stats here and we can help you out. Depending on your operating system/specs, it might be as simple as going to microsoft support and doing a free exchange of your 32bit key to a 64bit key and then doing a windows update.

Things we'd need to help if you want it:
CPU Make/model (For example I have an I7-6800k)
Ram Make/Model and size (For example I have 32GB Corsair DDR4 running at 3400MHz)
Operating System Version (I have Windows 10 Pro x64)
Graphics Card Make/Model (I have an Nvidia GTX 1080 and an Nvidia GTX 960)
Graphics Driver Version (I have whatever the latest is but you will not if you still use 32bit. You can get your driver version from either AMD Catyalist Control Center for AMD cards or Nvidia Control Panel for Nvidia cards. If you don't have a dedicated card then just tell us it's "Integrated Graphics" and we can find the version for your processor).

We can even talk you through the process of moving to 64bit if you want. You also wouldn't be the first person who thought they couldn't run 64bit and we helped them out.

Return to “Technical Help”