4 KB/s map download, please help!

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
Kriss7475
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

4 KB/s map download, please help!

Post by Kriss7475 »

Today, I've been playing Factorio with my friend (Non-Steam to non-Steam, but i have Steam version if you want to play with me) over Hamachi VPN. If he creates the server, I download the map 4KB/s and if I create the server, he downloads the map 4KB/s. If I made any mistakes correct me, english isn't my primary language.

PS: If it matters we both have windows, antivirus disabled, firewall disabled, I'm on ethernet and he's on wifi. Also we're ~0.75 km away from each other.
PPS: I've hidden a message here :P

Edit: Now we're playing Steam (me) to non-Steam (friend) and the download is 4-6 KB/s, I loaded the map after 20 minutes and connection lost :(
Congratulations for finding the secret message!!!

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: 4 KB/s map download, please help!

Post by daniel34 »

Why are you using Hamachi? It severely impacts performance when downloading maps and playing in general. Factorio (at least since 0.13/0.14) has no problems running multiplayer without third-party tools.
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

Kriss7475
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Kriss7475 »

See the secret on this reply My friend has cracked factorioand you'll know

Neemys
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Neemys »

He is trying to help you. Have you try not using hamachi ? And what version do you both have ? I recommend updating to the latest stable 0.14.19.

In later version You shoudn't need any third party software like hamachi. You should be able to connect to each other using your IP directly. (not the hamachi one). In case it don't work you can try to open a port in your router and your firewall (the guy hosting need to do that).

Then you will have no problem.
Want more space restriction ? Or maybe you want to be forced to use train for other thing than ore and oil ? Try Building Platform Mod !

Kriss7475
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Kriss7475 »

We have 0.14.19

He has cracked Factorio

Idk how to open port, he isn't allowed

Neemys
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Neemys »

If he hasn't purchased the game you can play only by direct connection.

The network code *should* open port by itself. You really can't join him or he really can't join you by direct ip ? (without hamachi and using your public IP address). What message display ? You can get you public IP adress using website like this one

Other cause of unability to host a game is a blocking firewall.

Opening port depend on router you should try to find a guide that do that for yours but there shoudn't be needed.

Edit : Know that hamachi is not needed to play with someone that hasn't purchase the game (yet). The game don't check against real user account on direct connect and dedicated that have disable the verification. He is only unable to download mods using mod portal and joining public game with the in game browser.
Want more space restriction ? Or maybe you want to be forced to use train for other thing than ore and oil ? Try Building Platform Mod !

Kriss7475
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Kriss7475 »

He opened the port, but message appears for me: Can't connect to server
My firewall and his firewall are disabled
I still don't know how to open port on openwrt luci, Simple Port Forwarding returns fail when i'm testing my port

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

Easy, tell him to buy the game. Considering the number of hours you're likely to sink into it it's an excellent investment and you're supporting a new company to release their fantastic game.
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

Kriss7475
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Kriss7475 »

He told me he will buy it next month... Close the topic.

Neemys
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Neemys »

Buying the game is good but if they want to direct connect again it will not change anything. If you can't connect, there is something that is blocking the connexion. A log from both of you might be usefull to help see where the problem come from.

To get the log see here : Application directory and log file.

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

Sounds like one of them is running on a restricted network such as a college or uni, and perhaps the others' router doesn't support it or he can't find it. In this case public games would be the better way to go.
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

Kriss7475
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Kriss7475 »

We wil play Public and LAN, my friend will connect across public servers and my sister across lan

Return to “Technical Help”