Icons with white backgrounds

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
Biscuits
Inserter
Inserter

Icons with white backgrounds

Post by Biscuits »

Hey there!

A while ago, before version .13.xx, all the icons that become visible after pressing alt used to have white squares for a background on my system (AMD Radeon), as can be seen on the example screenshots below (not mine):

http://factorio.nicmd.de/altview.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/M1FuovC.png

However, the icons on my brother's system (nVidia) have always shown the 'correct' background (faded black, no white squares).

Recently, the game on my system got 'fixed', it now shows the correct, faded black backgrounds on the icons, just like it always did on my brother's system.

But although I think the faded black backgrounds really look prettier, I had a much easier time quickly identifying icons on the old, bugged, white backgrounds.

My question might be rather strange, but is there any way (config file or client-side mod or something) to get the old, bugged, white, squared icon backgrounds back?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: corrected a typo in the title.

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Icons with white backgrounds

Post by daniel34 »

No. It used to be an option in 0.12 and earlier, but was patched out in 0.13.
0.13.0 Release Notes wrote:
  • Changes
    • Removed light entity info background option.
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

prg
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by prg »

You can just replace data/core/graphics/entity-info-dark-background-filtered.png with a white square. Don't forget to put the original image back whenever you update.

Not sure if this can also be done more cleanly with a mod, can't find that file referenced anywhere in data/ so maybe it's just hardcoded in the executable.
Automatic Belt (and pipe) Planner—Automate yet another aspect of constructing your factory!

Biscuits
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Biscuits »

daniel34 wrote:No. It used to be an option in 0.12 and earlier, but was patched out in 0.13.
0.13.0 Release Notes wrote:
  • Changes
    • Removed light entity info background option.
Thanks for the clarification.
prg wrote:You can just replace data/core/graphics/entity-info-dark-background-filtered.png with a white square. Don't forget to put the original image back whenever you update.

Not sure if this can also be done more cleanly with a mod, can't find that file referenced anywhere in data/ so maybe it's just hardcoded in the executable.
Thanks! I'll try that out later today.

Biscuits
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Biscuits »

That worked great!

I didn't even realize the graphics were so easily moddable, very handy.

Return to “Technical Help”