Question about Headless Username and Password.

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
keeperofsight
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Question about Headless Username and Password.

Post by keeperofsight »

Hello All,

I was recently able to setup a headless server instance on Ubuntu 16.04 using an old laptop. I will be playing the game via steam on my new laptop, and connecting to the headless via the public board.

Question: Will using my Factorio username and password to allow the headless server access to the public board preclude me from using the public board with my steam copy of the game?

Additional info that may or may not help:

The headless does show up in the public board when I start it
When I login via the steam version my ping for all servers is "can't reach"
My steam client and the Headless are both using 0.13.9 and the server was downloaded via https://www.factorio.com/download-headless/experimental
The server is hard wired to a router and the client is wireless to the same
I have checked https://wiki.factorio.com/index.php?title=Multiplayer for an answer to this question and couldn't locate it (If I missed it please point it out to me)
I have searched this forum and could not locate an answer (If I missed it please point it out to me)

Thank you in advance for any insight! :D

Killavirus
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Question about Headless Username and Password.

Post by Killavirus »

Heya, yes you will need to use a valid username and password to have your server listed, and configure the server-settings.json file (copy the File otherwise the updater gets annoyed if you edit it)
If you want to connect to your dedicated server on an internal network, connect Via IP not through the server browser, this functionality broke in 13.8 I think.

This information is floating about, but agree it is not easy to find, I think the answer in regards to the password is listed in a FAQ somewhere, not sure where tbh though.
Addiction Thy Name be Factorio, FACTORIO IS NOT A LIE.

keeperofsight
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by keeperofsight »

Killavirus wrote:Heya, yes you will need to use a valid username and password to have your server listed, and configure the server-settings.json file (copy the File otherwise the updater gets annoyed if you edit it)
If you want to connect to your dedicated server on an internal network, connect Via IP not through the server browser, this functionality broke in 13.8 I think.

This information is floating about, but agree it is not easy to find, I think the answer in regards to the password is listed in a FAQ somewhere, not sure where tbh though.
Thanks for the quick answer.

I was able to list the server, but can I still access the server from another computer using a client with the same account? In other words, do I need two accounts, one for the headless server and one for the client?

Zeblote
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zeblote »

You can use the same account for both.

keeperofsight
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by keeperofsight »

Zeblote wrote:You can use the same account for both.
Thank you for the answer! Now to chase down port-forwarding. :D

Return to “Technical Help”