Laptop overheating when playing Factorio

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
IThoughtUSaidWeast
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Laptop overheating when playing Factorio

Post by IThoughtUSaidWeast »

I noticed that playing Factorio causes my laptop to overheat and after about 45 minutes it will shut itself off due to overheating. Has anyone else experienced this issue? And are there any ways I could combat this? I use the MS Windows (64 bit exe installer) 0.12.29
Last edited by Koub on Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Split post from unrelated topic and gave an explicit title

max2605
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Laptop overheating when playing Factorio

Post by max2605 »

You must clean your laptop in the inside. Dust blocks the Fan and youre Laptop are Overheating. If you dont want open youre Laptop use extra Fans at the bottom of youre Laptop.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Factorio is a hard CPU consumer. If your laptop has a heating CPU with poor cooling, it could be a reason for what you're experiencing.
Poor cooling can come from undersized ventilation, dust cluttered cooler, absence of or bad quality thermal paste if custom CPU cooler was applied by hand, ...
Do you have any software that can monitor what's going on ad for temperature in your computer ?
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

albatrosv13
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by albatrosv13 »

deleted
Last edited by albatrosv13 on Thu May 19, 2016 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

It's difficult to sugest what to do in such a situation, needless to say though, if your computer is overheating, then it's more the fault of your computer, or the manufacturer than it is the game's, since running any program that takes similar, or more processing power would produce the same results.

Needless to say, when my laptop did things like that, I got a new laptop, which didn't shut off when it over heated, and exploded, so I got another new laptop.

I also only run factorio on my PC, but for different reasons. my laptop being Windows 7 that WON'T update to SP1 left it unable to run factorio when they implemented a hard requirement of Windows 7 SP1.

What can you do with your current laptop though? Well, there's multiple solutions ranging from underclocking the CPU (if it runs slower, it generates less heat, and therefore shouldn't overheat and shut off), to giving it a thorough cleaning. Advice on how to clean again can have a huge range of advice, depending on your laptop age and who made it, each specific model has different methods for removing/cleaning the cooling assembly... Most modern ones even have warranty seals across the screws so it can't be fully removed.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

bobingabout wrote:I also only run factorio on my PC, but for different reasons. my laptop being Windows 7 that WON'T update to SP1 left it unable to run factorio when they implemented a hard requirement of Windows 7 SP1.
The limit was lifted with 0.12.27.
Found workaround for issue in Visual C++ math library that was causing crashes on unpatched Windows 7. Service Pack 1 for Windows 7 is no longer required.
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

daniel34 wrote:
bobingabout wrote:I also only run factorio on my PC, but for different reasons. my laptop being Windows 7 that WON'T update to SP1 left it unable to run factorio when they implemented a hard requirement of Windows 7 SP1.
The limit was lifted with 0.12.27.
Found workaround for issue in Visual C++ math library that was causing crashes on unpatched Windows 7. Service Pack 1 for Windows 7 is no longer required.
I am aware, but still, that was only a few weeks ago, we've been able to run on unpatched Windows 7 for months, worthy of moving to another computer.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

IThoughtUSaidWeast
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Thanks for the feedback, I'll clean up my laptop and see if that helps. If not it's probably just time for a new laptop, this one is pushing 8 years now.

seronis
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by seronis »

IThoughtUSaidWeast wrote:Thanks for the feedback, I'll clean up my laptop and see if that helps. If not it's probably just time for a new laptop, this one is pushing 8 years now.
I have a 8yo acer aspire that originally had horrible overheating issues. Even though I did have a dust buildup problem, the primary cause was that it was a slightly defective model. Good news is there was some BIOS updates available that mostly resolved the issues. With a laptop that old if you've never updated the bios its one of the first things you should try.

IThoughtUSaidWeast
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Good to know I will definitely do that as well. Thanks man

Return to “Technical Help”