Steam noob - can I get off this train?

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
mrspeaker
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Steam noob - can I get off this train?

Post by mrspeaker »

tl;dr: can I undo my decision to purchase via Steam?

A long time ago I played DOTA2 for about 5 minutes, which required setting up steam. When I saw Factorio I knew this was a game I should avoid for fear of never having free time again. I failed, and decided to grab it from Steam as it seemed easy and I could start wasting my free time slightly sooner.

Which was true: but now I recognize that Factorio is a game that will go into my quiver of "old faithfuls" for a long long time - like games I purchased a zillion years ago and have to run on dosbox whenever I'm in the mood.

Then I looked closer at this Steam business: it starts up everytime I run Factorio - which I don't care for, but eh, whatever. But... I want to know that I can run Factorio in another 20 years time on a dusty old emulator in my direct-to-brain-computer or whatever we get (probably just "faster and slightly thinner computers").

Is there a way to "opt-out" of Steam? Trade in my key for a real copy?

Thanks!

Phillip_Lynx
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Steam noob - can I get off this train?

Post by Phillip_Lynx »

The devs are working on an link between steam and their site. Then you can also dl the DRM-free version.

mrspeaker
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by mrspeaker »

Thanks Phillip_Lynx - that's good news!

Neemys
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Neemys »

It is working now.

First you need an account on Factorio website : https://www.factorio.com/

Then, Confirm your account and login. Clicking on your name in top right bring a page where you can link your steam account (bottom of the page).

After steam account linked you can download DRM-free version of the game here : https://www.factorio.com/download/stable
Want more space restriction ? Or maybe you want to be forced to use train for other thing than ore and oil ? Try Building Platform Mod !

mrspeaker
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by mrspeaker »

Thanks for the heads-up and the instructions, Neemys!

Return to “Technical Help”