How to identify cause of desync?

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
luffe
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

How to identify cause of desync?

Post by luffe »

Hi, playing multiplayer with mod (shadowmegapack+scienceoverhaul) and started getting desync. Can someone tell me how to analyze or what to look for in the desync log to identify the mod that is causing the desync? i know i could post it on bug section but i think the devs have more important stuff to do developing the base game so i'd rather try to pinpoint the problem on my own if possible. Thanks for anyone bothering to answer and helping out :)

Schwerbelastung
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: How to identify cause of desync?

Post by Schwerbelastung »

Thanks for the thread. I agree that it would be very helpful to find out the causes behind these desyncs, so we could perhaps avoid the symptoms while the dev team is working to patch the bug.. constant desyncs are not fun at all :)

Here is an example log of a desync crash in a game with some friends.. any idea what could have caused it?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/19676292/log.txt

edit: Here is the complete desync report inc. saves: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/196 ... -46-42.zip

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: How to identify cause of desync?

Post by Rseding91 »

There's little in the desync report that would be able to tell you what mod caused the desync (if it was a mod that caused it).

The best way to determine which mod is causing issues is to remove half of them and see if it still happens. If it doesn't then you know one or more of the mods in the half you removed is causing the issue. Repeat by removing half until you find out which one(s) are causing issues (if any).

Once you've identified a given mod is causing desyncs you can start to look into why and if it looks to be an API or game engine issue we can get it fixed (or let you know how to fix it).
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Return to “Technical Help”