inserters are confused when item to smelt is fuel

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
Brathahn
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

inserters are confused when item to smelt is fuel

Post by Brathahn »

Hi,
im not sure if this is mod-related or a factorio problem but i'll ask anyway:

i am making a small mod that lets you convert raw wood into coal by putting it in a furnace. the mod and the recipe itself is working fine but inserters seem to have a problem with it.
i can put wood in a furnace and it gets smelted to coal. the inserters on the other hand will put the wood only in the fuel slot and stop working when the slot is full.
so i thought it may be working with an electrical furnace but it wont work either(only by hand).

do i have to add some extra code to my mod or is there a list of items that inserters can put in the top slot of a furnace?

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: inserters are confused when item to smelt is fuel

Post by orzelek »

Seems a bit strange.
In bob's mods there is a chemical furnace - it can take coal both as fuel and then for recipe and works without problems. It's assembler based tho not smelter like.

Brathahn
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Brathahn »

so how do i fix this? i didnt want to add a new furnace.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

Brathahn wrote:so how do i fix this? i didnt want to add a new furnace.
tell people it only works in electric furnaces :P

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

I haven't started using the Treefarm mod yet, even though I installed and enabled it some time last month, but it's my impression that it uses a new BioFactory machine to process Wood into Coke/Charcoal/Coal, exactly to avoid this kind of problem.

starholme
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by starholme »

Another option would be to add a 'processing' stage between the raw wood and charcoal. If you use an assembler to chop up the raw wood into say, 'wood pellets' then you can smelt the pellets into charcoal. Just make sure your wood pellets don't have a fuel value.

edit:
Just had another neat idea about the charcoaling process. If you moved to an chemical plant as your building, you could have a recipe like this: 5 raw wood + 1 unit water = 1 charcoal + 1 hot water! I don't remember for sure, but you might need scripting to actually create water at a higher temp than the incoming water.

Return to “Technical Help”